Light-O-Rama Forums

Strobes

Tony Shepherd

I have wanted to create a random flashing on the house and thought that strobes would create the effect I was looking for.  I have bought a number and set them up today only to be really disappointed.  When they start they all flash in unison and it takes a few seconds to start flashing independently.  I was only planning to use them for a few seconds at a time so it doesn't really work.  How does anyone else create this effect?

To help explain it a bit better it is like the section on the buildings in the Epcot fireworks on this link at 8 minutes 55 seconds

Thanks

Tony

If you bought all led strobes they all start in unison and then go to random. I read on here in an older post that you can make several strands of strobe lights and just stagger when you start each strand

Also, if you're using LED strobes, there's no *POP* when they fire - just a meek little blink. You can move some to a few different channels to help combat the in-unison start up, but there's nothing that will make them as exciting as you're looking for.

I don't personally know anyone who has started out with xenon and ever downgraded to the look of LED strobes. But I know LOTS of people who've moved up to xenon and never looked back again. Xenon tube strobes can also be in unison at first, but they start randomizing real nicely after the first second or two.

Thanks - I guess I should have done a bit more research.  I can probably create 3 or 4 channels to help stagger but I'm not sure I am going to create the wow factor.  Any idea where best to buy Zenon and can you get them in warm white?

Thanks again.

Thanks - I guess I should have done a bit more research.  I can probably create 3 or 4 channels to help stagger but I'm not sure I am going to create the wow factor.  Any idea where best to buy Zenon and can you get them in warm white?

Thanks again.

I still use a few LED stobes in mine from when I first bought them. I have 3-4 different types and mix and match them over the strand. All have different firing rates, they randomize really quickly. I like the stobes from diyledexpress.com but I also have some from Paul at CDI as well

Also, if you're using LED strobes, there's no *POP* when they fire - just a meek little blink. You can move some to a few different channels to help combat the in-unison start up, but there's nothing that will make them as exciting as you're looking for.

I don't personally know anyone who has started out with xenon and ever downgraded to the look of LED strobes. But I know LOTS of people who've moved up to xenon and never looked back again. Xenon tube strobes can also be in unison at first, but they start randomizing real nicely after the first second or two.

I'm with George on this from start to finish. 

I use two channels for my xenon strobes. And a small delay in one of the strobe channels gives the random pop right off the bat.

I have an incandescent strobe where I can control the flash rate.

For those that have done thunder/lightning sequences, they use multiple channesl on their strobes/floods to get a good randon effect.  It's not just several be maybe up to 8 channels.

For my thunder/lightning, I don't use strobes. I want a bigger/longer flash. And just a couple channels works fine for that or strobes. 8 channels seems way overkill IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

This will be my first year using strobes. Any guidelines on how long you need to keep a xenon "U" type strobe OFF so that it will fire immediately when you turn it back on? For example, if I want the strobes to all fire to cymbal crashes that are close together how quickly can I do that? 1 sec? .5 sec? .1 sec?? Or do you have to have multiple channels and alternate that way?