Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie wanting a Mega Tree

fotografer

Greetings!  I too, wear the badge of NEWBIE. 

Last year I put together what I called - Redneck Christmas - in my yard.  If it had lights, I put it up.  Ran it with one of those holiday light/music program units purchased at Menards. Wired in an FM transmitter and it worked OK - I got 1st in the town's Christmas decorating contest.  NOW - I have to go even better.  

My quest this year is a single Mega tree with 12 strings 

I've been studying the items trying to determine what specifically I'll need. 

I bought a 10 ft. mega tree frame last winter. I've also got a dedicated computer and FM transmitter setup. 

Now I'm looking for guidance in specifically what I'll need.

Do I need CC ribbons or CC pixels?  Does it make a difference? 

What I'm thinking - please correct me if needed - is:

• 6 sets of the pixels - giving me 12 strings?

• The starter package advanced version

• SuperStar add-on - I'm thinking to start I'll purchase some sequences unless I come up with some more spare time closer to the season to add more sequences that I may want to program.

• something for the top - Star or Ball?  

What else would I need? As I mentioned - I'm total newb at this aspect of it - but want to learn and again be the envy of my neighbors. 

Thanks!!!

It depends on what you are looking to do. LOR doesn't really have anything in the way of 'plug-n-play', there is always going to be some degree of hands-on.  CCR is a ribbon that lays flat and lends itself to one dimensional things like 12 or 16CCR trees. CCP and CCB are pixels and bulbs that would look similar to regular string lights and C9's. If you are doing a three dimensional mega tree would not use CCR's.

First thing you have got to look at is really asking yourself if you are up for the hours and hours of work that goes into this and the thousands of dollars that you would spend. I know in the three years I have been doing LOR I am WELL over the $10,000 mark in money spent on my display.

It really is a labor of love. I enjoy doing my displays and am fortunate enough to be able to afford it.

To answer your questions, the more pixels/ribbons/bulbs used, the better the resolution of your display will be. 6 sets of pixels would make for a fairly emaciated mega tree.

Additionally, the programming takes time and patience, something that is in short supply given that it is already mid-September. You have got to put time into your sequences or it will look no better than the cheap box you bought at Menards.

Check out Superstar lights .com, Brian has a how to build a CCP tree like his. Even if you don't do it like he did, it will give you a better understanding on what is needed.

The way I am reading it, if you want 12 strings at roughly 10', you will only need 3 CCP - watch Brians video, you will see what I mean

• Like 1

For a 10ft 12 string tree, don't know that you goin to get the singing effects that you desire.  If you want great singing effects, maybe consider a more traditional "singing tree" layout and just make it larger than the traditional 4ft or so frames.  

It would also making sequence easier by being able to buy or use shared singing seqquences.

If you are buying LOR products then controllers most likely come with them, otherwise you'll need a controller too. On a megatree, sort of depends on what you wish to see. If you are going to control it, animation on it, color changes, patterns and etc...then you'll need intelligent pixels and a method to control them. Lots and lots of work there to do the sequencing although SS will help out there a lot. Also consider patterns from xLights, then either control with that or export to LOR.

Megatrees look best when they are spiraled and from what I hear, blue in color. Now you can do that with pixels if you wish therefore the ability to do a lot more or you can hang led strings on them and use an AC controller. As stated above, this is not plug and play hobby but the reward is you finding out that you are an "Artist in Lights" and no other show anywhere will duplicate yours. Start with what you wish to see, then from there, how its controlled is the next part. Too few strings, does indeed look anemic. Personally, I do 32 strings on each of two 15 foot tall megatrees. 16 spiral CW and 16 CCW. I couldn't decide on a color so I went with multis but it looks nice.

Thanks for the replies.  I realize it won't be "plug & play", but would like some direction in what would be my best direction to go.  I've already got just the tree relatively priced out at about $1500ish. This year I just want a simple statement tree.  I've watched most of Brian's videos - that's the type of tree I am going for.  

I'd queried LOR help desk & they had recommended the ribbons. Watching Brian's videos - he uses pixels. With 2 conflicting answers, I was looking to you all for some guidance. 

I don't necessarily want it to sing - just do other cool stuff - like Brian's.  Knowing I'm behind in putting it together and sequencing it all myself, I'd planned to purchase sequences til I can get my feet wet for next year and then start to add more to it. 

The whole display won't be decorating a house - but rather in an open lot next to my business. That's why I'm thinking just a mega tree with patterns and awesome music to start. 

I have both a 360 degree pixel tree and a 12 strip ccr tree,  I personally like the animation effects on the ccr tree but the 360 degree pixel tree generates a lot of pretty neat effects  I believe words are easier to see on the ccr tree,just my opinon.

As softball stated. CCP's or CCB's would look better than ribbons on a 360 tree. My tree is the same as Brian's. I also used the globe. Really is a good looking prop.

• 1 month later...

I'm Back ....  Shoot me now.  I've purchased 6 sets of the LOR CCPs with controllers and have them strung into their wire looms. I also have a 4 channel exploding star with it's lights all attached.  I've got the tree pole ready to raise up when the wind quits here. 

I "think" I have it somewhat figured out.  Please correct me if I've got this wrong...

Utiliyzing the generic kit - I run the adapter to a Cat5 cable. Then - does it daisy chain thru the 6 CCP controllers?  After hooking the first one up to get the ID and such.  That is what I've gathered from the tutorials.  Then it is essentually just down to sequencing - correct? 

Next part of the question - if the cat5 just daisy chains ... What about the exploding star on top with regular plugs?  Does that part need to have a separate controller?  

My day job has kept me too busy to actually get the nuts & bolts of getting this thing up put on the back burner until now when it's getting down to crunch time. 

If anyone who is more knowledgable than me would allow a phone conversation if I'm totally off base here - I'd deeply appreciate it.   

Thanks!

I had thought about pixels, but then I got to thinking...I spend about 200 hours a year programming the 176 channels I got now.  From what I understand pixels give you like unlimited options...which is just too much...cool yes, but too much.  Our Mega tree is 16 feet.  we have 8 multicolor "wedges"  and 16 spiral strands in white.  This year we added 25 strobes. we use mini led lights for the wedges and regular ol' lights for the spiral.  there's over 5000 light on it.  and people love it.  My understanding is pixel lights cost alot of money... and that's just not something I dont have...

Fotografer, if I understand you, each LOR ccp controller needs to have an I'd. Do this by plugging them in and assigning the I'd. Then daisy chain them together. The star will need a controller. I assume you are using led lights on the star. Then the last ccp controller can be Daisy chain to the star ac controller.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone - I think I have it figured out - all the lights are plugged in and strung across the living room floor and the star is here too.  Everything tests out individually, but I can't get a sequence to play in sequence editor.   I've also posted this a little higher up.  Is there something (obviously) that I'm missing in this setup?  I "think" I have the IDs correct in everything. 

HELP!!!!!  :)