Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Needs Help

chula

I just purchased Pro Series 16 channel starter package 140v and another add on 16 channel.  To start out with I want to use 100 light strands of LED's and mini lights (white, red, blue, green).  How many strands of LED and mini lights can be hooked up to each channel.  Everything I will be using will be for Christmas.  I set up a Christmas display each year that runs around 50,000 white lights, LED and mini, so rather than purchase any more lights at this time I want to use what I have on hand.

If you got the LOR1602W with your package then you can have a maximum of 8 amps on 1 channel & if you use both power cords you can have a total of 15 amps on the first 8 channels & 15 amps total on the last 8 channels.

To figure that out you will need to how many amps each string draws & just add them up.

Check page 8 of the manual

With 50,000 lights you already have, you definitely need to be concerned how many you plug into each channel on each controller. I use a channel calculator spreadsheet to keep track. Here's a previous post of mine:

With as much as you are planning, need to not just be concerned about the total, but need to be concerned with balancing. Keep loads even on both halves of your panel. This controller chart will help with your total load as well. Take time to use it and then you know & don't guess. When I say I have 15234 LED lights pulling 1481 watts (12 amps) - I can be sure of my math.

Rick has a pretty cool 50 channel calculator here:

http://www.quartzhillchristmas.com/12.html

(Actually - I got the C.L.A.P. bad = 15234 led lights + 12 led indicators on speakers & controllers = 15246 total lights.. LOL..)

(Actually - I got the C.L.A.P. bad = 15234 led lights + 12 led indicators on speakers & controllers = 15246 total lights.. LOL..)

LOL

Don't for get the led's on the power supplies. :lol:

I second the spreadsheet from Quartz Hills. I modified it years ago to keep track of my extension cords. Rick did me a favor and came out with his 50 controller version. This is my Golden document and use it faithfully.

Google Kill-A-Watt and get yourself one of those. Or an upgrade is a Clamp Meter. I measure all the watts on all my vendors strings and inventory them in the spread sheet.

If you are moving to LEDs you may want to remove the secondary power cord. Unless you are consuming 15 amps one set of channels, this saves on power cords.

Also don't buy your extension cords. Make them out of SPT1 or SPT2 and vampire plugs. Wish I would have been given that advise 12 years ago........ I standardized on SPT2, while a bit heavier, it is also compatible with any of the lamp cords you can buy on sale.

Edited by zman