Light-O-Rama Forums

Continuous chase

Steelers95

You can do one chase effect, then copy it and paste it after the first one. You can paste as many "end to end" as you want.

Thanks for the video, I would call that a marque effect. In SuperStar you can do that a couple of different ways. One way is to create 3 or 4 scenes with the marque pattern, and each scene is offset by one pixel, and you just play the scenes in order, over and over again.

Another way is to create an image with that pattern and move the image over and over across the ribbon.

I created that effect in the sequence editor. Its actually a really simple chase that is technically only 6 pixels long by 2 seconds in width. Then I just copy/pasted like crazy. The reason it has those smooth fade in/out effects is each chase is a ramp up and a ramp down very quickly. Here is what it looks like in the sequencing grid. If you look between 39 and 41 seconds that is the actual effect. The rest is just copy paste.

40%20seconds%20in_zpsx8hxkndw.jpg

Brian is right though you can automate the effect or replicate it with the marque effect but it will not have that smooth ramp up/ramp down as I do not believe you can add ramps to the marque effect. However I'm not real familiar with superstar. I switched everything to xlights 4 this year and to replicate it there I could manually draw the 2 second effect and copy paste or create the marque like below and lose the ramps. 

40%20seconds%20xlights_zpsxfus6s8v.jpg

There is pretty much multiple ways to create it and the end result pretty much looks the same on playback. Its really just what you are more comfortable with. Hope that helps. 

Where are you finding this marquee effect.  I've looked in Superstar but haven't found it.  Tried looking in help and it directed me to instant sequence but I'm still missing it.  Thank you!

There is no effect labeled "marquee effect." But you can do it by making four different scenes, each offset by 1 pixel.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b6anhcqo29m12yr/AABrKSvFXVZYu-0FaRTP5YDGa?dl=0

Here is the "Scenes" way of doing this as Brian has explained. The one I did is a series of 6 Scenes instead of 4. It all depends on how many pixels you want in each lighted section. Typically, the number if "Lights on", will dictate this. The rule of thumb for this type of effect is double scenes as lights lit. In the example I linked to, it's 3 lights lit and 6 scenes, offset by 1 pixel. If you wanted 10 lights lit, it would take 20 scenes.

If you're wondering why I have the first 6 dropped down in the sup file, these are the scenes created, then it's just copy and paste as many times as needed to fill the time span.

Hope this helps.