Light-O-Rama Forums

50 watt UV

jonathan78

I'm curious as well. I ordered one during the summer sale and am planning to use it in my Halloween display. It sounds like it's pretty powerful.

I got one too. Then I was looking into ordering some UV Reactive paint (from blacklight.com) and noticed that they recommend fluorescent tubes over LED. Apparently the LEDs throw out a lot of ambient "purple-ish" light which might mask some of the glowing effect. Of course it could actually be helpful too we'll see.

Apparently the LEDs throw out a lot of ambient "purple-ish" light 

This would be true. You lose some of the darkness when using LED UV lights.

I have tried the smaller versions and I was surprised as to how much purplish light they put out. It lit up the background more than I wanted so I stuck with the ole fluorescent tubes. But that was my experience. You might like or want the purplish lighted background.

Dan and Cliff (the hardware Gurus), along with myself were talking about the UV RGB flood at Expo.  That was one of the discussion points.  Ours are supposed to use high-quality LEDs and drivers which should limit the amount of purple bleed.

I have not personally seen one in use.  I think we had them at the Expo, but we didn't put them out in fear that some schmo would stare blankly into it and exclaim 'It's not on!' while he was frying his retinas with UV.

Definitely post your experience when you get one.  

Ive tested mine, there was a noticeable amount of purple light but it was in a white room.

One odd thing about it....it pulses when on, now this is just turning it on in hu, i haven't tried a sequence yet.

I'm also curious about which paint would work best for this light.  I want to try the "invisible" paint that you can only see when the UV light is shined on it.  I plan on having the light come on during my Halloween sequences and lighting up the names on some tombstones I'm going to make.

I'm just not sure which paint will be the most visible and/or bright.

I want to try the "invisible" paint that you can only see when the UV light is shined on it.

I have a few panels with invisible paint on it that I used in my pro haunt. That stuff is magic. Didn't even know something was painted on the panels until I accidently shined a blacklight on it. With regular light on you can't see anything. It blew me away.

I don't know what brand of paint it was though. I bet I can find out though. :)

And just to add, my haunt was a 3D attraction with black lights and glow paint thru out the haunt. The only one of it's kind in Oklahoma, or in the world for that matter. Because it was a dark ride as well. :)

As for regular UV paint, most paints offer the same glow effect. For the most part.

Tom

Edited by Santas Helper

That sounds really cool, exactly what I want. I want the writing to be unseen until you shine the UV light on the tombstone.

If you could let me know where you purchased it I would appreciate it.

I want to try the "invisible" paint that you can only see when the UV light is shined on it. 

Here is a pic of one of my scenes using the invisible paint. The bluish artwork on the wall panels. When the house lights are on (or any light beside black lights) the panels look painted gray. Turn out house lights and turn on black lights and this is what's seen.

20070707_0037.jpg

I like that a lot, you did a great job.  It's a great little special effect and probably surprises people when they see nothing with regular lights on it until you shine the UV.

I'm excited to try this out.

The stuff at Home Deport , is that found just in the regular paint section? I go in there sometimes and ask for a product and then end up talking to 4 different people only to find out they don't carry the product.

Home Depot sells the paint as well.

UV paint or Glow in the Dark paint? I have not been able to find true "UV Reactive" paint at any store (including HD, Lowes, True Value, Orchard, Michaels, etc).

• The topic was locked