Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel editor or superstar

Shamusseven

So I made my first order and starting to think I made my first mistake. I went with the s4 pro with the pixel editor,

I will start out with 16 channel normal controller but also want a roof line of 200 rgb bulbs and a mega tree. The mega tree I will be buying the sequences so the first question is to make sure if I purchase a mega tree sequence I do not need either SS or PE.

But on to my main question. I want to program the roof line to do several different chases and color changes. It seems that with PE I do not have the kind of control I want from playing around with the different effects. Do I need SS to do this? And If so what level would I need for 4 strings of 50 bulbs run off a 4 channel Dmx controller. LOR sells it via # of ccrs which are not exactly what I have.

Edited by Shamusseven

Don't let the ccr bother you. Think of the ccr,ccp and ccb the samething in this instance. With 4 @50= 200 pixels or 600 channels. You could srqunce without superstar, but I did using it makes sequencing alot easier. I can't help you out as femo dpwnar as the PE I don't have it now. But from what I have read about the PE you maybe limited on what you can design. I believe there is a free download that you can test with, but can't save the sequence. Give it a try.

Sorry about the spelling above. I using my phone. Hard to type.emo.

It should have said, can't help you out as far as the PE. And superstar has a free download demo.

I for one will say, Superstar. I use SS to sequence everything. It makes short work of Pixel Tree sequencing. 

IMHO, the PE is not finished, by no means. It is, I assume the xLights V3 code but with a bit of V4 and works with LOR SE. As I have always said of xLights/Nutcracker, is an effects generator and that's about it. The new XL4 is supposed to be more of a sequencer than the aforementioned Effects Generator. I find it cumbersome though. I admit, I have only scratched the surface on the new code. 

I was initially using The PE to migrate my sequences to the Intensity Data Files. It works good for that but there's a lot of steps to accomplish what is needed to do.

I will use it for my voice overs, but that will be effects such as, Butterfly, Spirals and possibly a pinwheel effect, (although, the pinwheel needs some work, at least it looks like it does in the PE Visualizer). I find the PE cumbersome like the XL/NC

If you want complete, individual pixel control, I recommend Superstar. You can sequence all of your display, AC channels too, you just need a visualization file to import in. There's a small learning curve with SS, but once you figure out how it works, it's great.

• Like 1

I would not call it a mistake, maybe a bit overkill.

You do not need to use the pixel editor. You can, but you might want to stick with sequence editor.

You do not need SS or PE to play your purchased sequences,

You do not need SS to accomplish what you discribed. SE can do it. SS is awaome and I recommend it but you do not need it especially for 200 bulbs on your roof line.

SS license level are CCR but can be converted to DMX channels. 150 dmx channel per CCR. So if you have 200 pixel bulbs=600 dmx/150= 4.

4 CCRs level.

Try this                            www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhpreKGzPXs 

it maybe what you are looking for.

But as Ron said, I really like Superstar. For me, it makes things a lot easier and is very versatile.  

Edited by indi

4 strings of 50 rgb bulbs off one dmx controller.....this sounds like "dumb" rgb where all the bulbs are controlled by one controller.

To get chases you need "smart" rgb or pixels where each bulb is controlled individually. This can still be one controller, but those are typically 3 wires...one power, one data and one ground.

You say 4 wires, which is typically r,g,b and common. This is used typically on "dumb" rgb.

So, to make a chase you would need to program each channel or bulb and then use the colorfade tool to "swipe"across the bulbs.

Google LOR chase to see many fine examples of chases. The concept is the same whether it is non rgb or rgb....but with rgb you use the color fade tool instead of the on button that is used for string lights.

In superstar, a chase is called a morph. Much quicker and easier to program.

But none of that matters if you have dumb rgb. With dumb, you will be able to change colors of the bulbs using the color fade tool. Each seperately controlled string would be one rgb channel (which is 3 channels in the editor...one for each color) that you can control in the editor. You could do a chase across each controlled string. But, if you have all 4 strings controlled by one dmx controller...then chases won't be possible as all strings are basically one channel where each light will do the same thing.

At Christmas Expo this year I did a 'What's New in S4' class, and one of the topics was "Which should I use:  Sequence Editor, Pixel Editor, SuperStar when dealing with pixels?" In summary I broke it down like this:

• Sequence Editor:  Very Slow Sequencing, complete control -- You have the MOST control, but at the expense of needing to program each individual pixel.  With thousands of pixels, this will be very time consuming, but you will get EXACTLY what you want.  You will either hate this, you'll become a mad scientist because it drives you crazy, or it will satisfy your inner control freak.  

• SuperStar:  Medium Speed Sequencing, Nearly Unlimited Control -- You give up a little control, for much faster sequencing.  Superstar is highly customizable so you should be able to get it to do something you like AND want.  You do give up some control, but the speed of your sequencing work will increase so much that you probably don't care about the little control lost.  If you were a very good pre-pixel Sequence Editor sequencer, you know that you would normally spend around 4-5 hours per minute of audio.  Superstar will move you back to that time frame, but with pixels.

• Pixel Editor:  Fast Sequencing, Limited Control  -- With the Pixel Editor, you give up a lot of the control you can have over your pixels.  The gain is however that sequencing is SUPER fast.  In just a few minutes (yes, literally) you can program an entire pixel display to do some very amazing things.  Are you limited to the stuff Pixel Editor can produce?  Yes, but the stuff it can do will amaze any audience.
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone. Sax, when I stated 4 strings, I was meaning 4 set of the brilliant bulbs by holiday Coro ( each having 50 smart pixels.). I will be running them off of a alphapix 4 also from holiday Coro. I have tried to launch Superstar from my instal but I get an error. Should I be able to demo SS from my initial s4 pro download or is there another download I need to try it out?

I think the Demo has to be downloaded. I think it might be in LOR's software download page. Or you might go to SuperStar Lights website. There maybe more information about the demo there.

I have looking and can only find the S4 download which i have already. And I do have the Superstar showing up in my light I Rama control panel. Just am unable to launch it.

Thanks everyone. Sax, when I stated 4 strings, I was meaning 4 set of the brilliant bulbs by holiday Coro ( each having 50 smart pixels.). I will be running them off of a alphapix 4 also from holiday Coro. I have tried to launch Superstar from my instal but I get an error. Should I be able to demo SS from my initial s4 pro download or is there another download I need to try it out? 

Theres a bug with LOR-4.1.2 if it is installed fresh

to fix:
1. uninstall  4.1.2
2. Install 4.038  download link
3. reinstall 4.1.2

This will fix the SS starting error

Thanks,
Steven G
Edited by dink911

Ok, pixels will do chases nicely.

There is a known bug with superstar....there is a post in the forums from devmike stating what to do....or you can follow the above method. It is just one file missing if I remeber correctly that will be fixed with next release.

Superstar will work but it will not export. With superstar, you create your sequence in superstar and then export it to play in sequence editor....for your show. So that is where you will need a license. but, you can see the sequence in superstar and your files will work perfectly if you do decide to purchase it. 1ccr license is 50 pixels or 150 channels. An AC channel counts as one channel. An rgb channel counts as three....etc. so what happens is you will only be able to export the number of channels you have a license for....but you can program as many channels as you wish.

Hope that makes sense.

And morphs are the chase tool. Super fast and easy.

Good luck,

Sax