Light-O-Rama Forums

Texting names to a pixel matrix

pyrotech

Hey all,

Does anyone have experience sending a text message with a first name to a pixel matrix?  

I saw it on the "great christmas light fight" last year and really want to do it myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Are you SURE you want to let the public have access to your matrix.  All I can think of is it saying something that is replaced by characters like these....$%@*$.  I'd limit access  to you, not to the general public.  Bad things.... they could say bad things.

Matt Johnson has a video on how he did it. He runs each name through a list of thousands of names automatically, so none of the problems mentioned above.

You could do the opposite and check for rude words. This way more than just names could be displayed.

Matt Johnson's video doesn't show how he did it.  He just shows that he did it.  

Thanks,

Tim

He does somewhere. It may have been a forum post I read but he said it somewhere.

There is some information here

• Like 1

That's the video that I saw that made me want to do it.  

The million dollar question is...how is it done?

Matt Johnson uses the Falcon pi player to run his show

I don't know if it's possible with LOR's show player.

Matt Johnson uses the Falcon pi player to run his show

I don't know if it's possible with LOR's show player.

The only way it could be done is if each letter scrolling is a sequence. Then they would have to be played in the correct order.

The ability to do what you are asking about was developed for the Raspeberry Pi, running a Falcon Pixel contorller, I believe.   Can proibably use it for any pixel controller .  Matt was able to get the matrix plug in from some folks that develop plug ins for the Pi.  You can see the specific Matirx Plug in code here:
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,2158.0.html

Edited by jonnyci

Tim
Let me know if you have any luck getting this going.  I had all of the aspirations of setting this up for this year.  I have the Raspberry and all of the necessary items, except the Falcon board.  Life just got in the way, just had my 3rd child born 2 weeks ago.  Also, I decided to upgrade my pixel tree from 12 to 16 strings, which means recreating all new sequences.  Oh yeah and working on a Halloween show.

I'll let you know.

One thing that I have learned is that you do NOT need the falcon board.  Any controller will work.  The key is that you need to have the raspberry Pi and the falcon pi player.  

I'll keep you posted.

Tim