Light-O-Rama Forums

10th Year Anniversary

dougd

This coming season will be my 10th year doing a LOR display. It was 10 years ago this past Christmas season when Carsons video's went viral and I said to myself, that is awesome, wonder if I could do that. I spent the next 11 months working on my first animated display. There were not as many resources back then as there are today. I had 47 relay controlled channels. Only money I spent that first year was $99 on some software from a company called Light O Rama. Best money I ever spent on my display. They didn't even have there own forums, everything funneled through Planet Christmas forums. I modified a Belkin FM transmitter I had kicking around and I was in musical light sequencing madness.

I never dreamed 10 years later I would still be as addicted to this hobby as I was back then. Anyone else still around heading into there 10th year. Seems like there were a lot of us trying to get it all figured out back then.

Year 6 for me...but it was also Carson that got me hooked..just took me a few years to get the finances to do it...

Happy Anniversary dougd and everyone else who has been doing this for many years!  Very impressive as I'm sure technology has made it much easier now than it was back then to pull it off.  This is only my 3rd year doing LOR but have been putting up static lights for decades.  I can certainly see myself doing this for many years to come!

Your pioneer spirit back then helped get this industry rolling so that we get to enjoy all the benefits of your trials & tribulations!

Thanks!

Started the same as dougd.

Christmas of 2005 I had the software, January had two controllers and getting spooled up for the 2006 season.

I'm only half as old as dougd and Santas Helper in terms of animated displays are concerned. Keep it up guys and lead the way. My first year I started out with 8 controllers but have blossomed to 44 controllers and 150,000 lights this season, if I didn't bite off more than I can chew. Does that qualify me as being hooked? Good thing I retired a week ago.... kevinkolak.com

I'm only half as old as dougd and Santas Helper in terms of animated displays are concerned. Keep it up guys and lead the way. My first year I started out with 8 controllers but have blossomed to 44 controllers and 150,000 lights this season, if I didn't bite off more than I can chew. Does that qualify me as being hooked? Good thing I retired a week ago.... kevinkolak.com

I think it is safe to say You are Hooked!

• The topic was locked