Light-O-Rama Forums

Everything in Every Song?

Dcroc

I don't think I have one song with everything in it. This year I have introduced green into three of my trees and I am only using them in one song. I believe this creates even more interest with people never sure what might come next. I go with the less is more theory

Being my first year , as I look at some of the sequencing I have done , I seem to be maybe falling into the " too blinky" category. Think I may go back and make some changes on some . Easy to get carried away with chases having two megatrees and a big driveway arch . Like the idea of just having some on low intensity at times. I'm sure once I get it setup and actually see a sequence on the display it will become more clear as to how I could make it look best . Im sure it will be a lot different than just watching on my visualizer .

I think you'll be just fine. I think the fact that you already know it will be different in real life than in visualizer says volumes. Just the fact you are not static any longer will get you so many positive comments you will go crazy. & remember - it's only too blinky if you let others tell you that it is.

Great topic, wish I would have seen it earlier. I sort of put together something around this topic and presented it at Christmas Expo. It seemed to resonate with the attendees, and dovetail into another topic done by Jeff Holmes.

Black is good.

Think of framing things. It draws your visitors eyes to a focus.

In a concert, or play, the board guys don't use everything in every song. They use things for emphasis. Colors trigger certain feelings within your guests.

If you don't use everything in every song, it leaves folks with the desire to see more. Sort of like an encore.

As Jim said, listen to the song with your eyes closed, what do you see, how does that convey to your display. We have a lot of features at our disposal, and using them in the right way, at the right time is key. Sometimes that means off.

I'm fond of telling people that the overwhelming majority of my lights spend the overwhelming majority of their time OFF. Most civilians look at me funny when they hear that, but it's totally true. Dark is one of the most effective sequencing commands you've got at your disposal.

Having a lot of lights is fine. So is having a lot of channels. But a person really doesn't need either of those things. It's actually pretty amazing how few lights it takes to entertain viewers. It's all about the sequencing. Always has been, always will be.

As Jim said, listen to the song with your eyes closed, what do you see, how does that convey to your display. We have a lot of features at our disposal, and using them in the right way, at the right time is key. Sometimes that means off.

Bad advice I listen to all my songs lots of times to work out what works with what but I do it when driving to work

In busy songs I will use just about everything very regularly. In slow songs I may not use everything or only use some things occasionally. In slow songs I often have the unused elements (that aren't sequenced to the music) dimly lit for the entire song to make it look more like traditional Christmas lights.

Most times I do not use everything in a display for any song.  Most songs have something not being used.  I even have decorations that are ONLY for one song.  It makes my audience stay, they drive past my house all week long during the day seeing various decorations and they wait to see them go.  I've been out front talking to my viewers on more then one occasion and had them ask, when are the "Candy Canes going to light up."  "Just wait," I tell them they will be on on this song... etc.  And they stay.  And often come back again, and again, and bring friends.   Somehow in just 4 years my house has become a "Tradition."  I post though out the year on my town's community Facebook page to give updates on the builds.  Then come Christmas, I get the questions where is "X" that you were working on and when does it light up.  So, long story short.  Don't use everything.  Buy extra controllers just to light special decorations for special songs.  You won't regret it, and it's a good way to pitch it to your S/O that you need more controllers, lights/pixels.

I wish I had a problem with making my audience stay. My problem is getting them to leave. All my props every song, after 1 song, they have seen it all. Black, don't need it, every light on, that's what I like :)

I wish I had a problem with making my audience stay. My problem is getting them to leave. All my props every song, after 1 song, they have seen it all. Black, don't need it, every light on, that's what I like :)

That's the way I feel..go BIG or keep em in the box. I personally want that WOW factor. I don't really care if anyone comes back. It will keep the traffic down and my neighbors happy. Originally, I got into this because of my kids when they were little and it has now grown into an OBSESSION of mine. It's a GREAT side effect that other people get to come and enjoy the lights and music. I really enjoy talking to them when they show up and the questions they ask and seeing Them take pictures. Sharing IS Caring. But, in the end... it's still all about me and my family!! IMHO :-)

Often the biggest WOW factor isn't related to the number of lights or channels.

Edited by George Simmons

• The topic was locked