Light-O-Rama Forums

New to LOR have some questions

Janda

My wife and I for the last three years have used the Mr. Christmas lights and sounds device and have decided to dive in head first from this plug and play device to LOR.  We are going to do the halloween light show to start to learn a little and then dive into xmas.  We bought the Halloween controller package from wowlights (http://www.wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=19&Product=390), but as I have found this hobby already leaves me wanting more.  I am wanting to add the RGB (dumb) ribbons, so I can one leave them up for xmas and not have to climb a ladder in November.  My question is the the LOR website they an 8 pack (http://store.lightorama.com/rgbstrip8pack.html) that should get me a good start.  Will I need another 16 channel controller or will the controller it comes with be all I need (which is what I am thinking based on the diagram).  I am so excited and truly appreciate any help i can get to ensure I do this right the first time (or at least buy the right things).

Lots of people get confused by this.

No. The CMB24D, the supplied controller, just connects onto your other controllers and you do not need another 16 channel mains voltage controller. 

You do need a 200 watt minimum 12vdc power supply. LOR sells a waterproof one which would work. To keep it simple use that.

You could find a more powerful, cheaper one on Amazon, but for somebody new you should stick with the LOR one.

Besides a power supply and enclosure, you'll also need waterproof pittail connectors so you can disconnect the floods easily from the controller. Will also need some type of mounting boards for the PS and cmb24d board, that fits into your enclosure.  Beliieve holidaycore.com sells a mounting boards that has designated drill holes for power supply and cmb24d board.

If you do a thread search on "enclosure" or "cmb24d enclosure", you'll find other threads on getting a "working" cmb24d controller.

Besides a power supply and enclosure, you'll also need waterproof pittail connectors so you can disconnect the floods easily from the controller. Will also need some type of mounting boards for the PS and cmb24d board, that fits into your enclosure.  Beliieve holidaycore.com sells a mounting boards that has designated drill holes for power supply and cmb24d board.

If you do a thread search on "enclosure" or "cmb24d enclosure", you'll find other threads on getting a "working" cmb24d controller.

LORs floods come with pigtails.

Thanks for the information.  Just to be sure I need 1 power supply for all 8 strips or 8 power supplys. 

As long as you use Lor's strips you can use their 200 watt power supply as they are rated at 20w per strip. However, if you ever use other strips you will need a bigger power supply as most other strips are rated at 36w a strip.

Ok I will simplify my process and just stick with the LOR basics for now and get the things I need from here until I get a better grasp of everything.  Its a lot to take in but so much fun for my wife and I.  I am sure once I get everything this week sometime I will have plenty more questions.  Thanks again everyone who helped.

• 5 months later...

ok i have a question on this, say i was to buy some  5050 SMD LED (IP65 Waterproof) , that are rated   Working Input Voltage: 12V DC
 Working Current/meter: 1.2A Output power: 72W /5 Meter, 8, 5 meter strips, 1 strip per channel.  What would be a good power supply for my CMB24D to use these?

Please let me know and thank you for any input.

Dennis

Edited by Mr Grunts

A good, reliable, quiet power supply that many of us use is the Mean Well 12v 29A, that you can get from Mouser and many other places.

The strips you specified, at 100% all white, add up to 48A, so you'll need 2 29A power supplies, one for each side of the CMB24D.

• Like 2

Just to be sure then, a 12v DC 30amp 360 watts Regulated switching power supply is what I'm looking for? 2 of them? One for each side? 

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2015 at 11:14 AM, EmmienLightFan said:

LORs floods come with pigtails.

These guys have some REALLY great customer service when it comes to RGBs and lighting problems.  I had a situation where, straight out of the box (mind you it was on Thanksgiving week), the Dumb RGBs had a fault. A segment of the RGBs was defective. Not a moment later we contacted them. Black Friday comes and... in the mail is a brand new strand of Dumb RGBs! Free of cost, too. They sell enclosures, venting for said enclosures, mounting boards, and everything in between. They also sell their own (as you know now) RGBs (SMART or DUMB), controllers, and an assortment of other goodies.

So... I guess they're okay? LOL, what am I saying... they're GREAT!

Check 'em out if interested. A bit more expensive than LOR's lights, but you can be sure they'll help you out when you need the expert's opinion.