Light-O-Rama Forums

Just starting: Need help!

ClarkGriswold69

I am making the transition from static lights to LOR.   I have a lot of LED lights.  I want to purchase a system that will allow me to create my own music that does not require me to put a PC outside.  What controller system do I need?

Also, I want to add additional channels and allow cars to hear the music via the radio.  That's about it.  Pretty simple, but the LOR website is just too confusing for me to figure out what I need to accomplish this.

Help would be appreciated! 

I want to purchase a system that will allow me to create my own music that does not require me to put a PC outside.  What controller system do I need?

I guess you want to create musical sequences; not your own music.

does not require me to put a PC outside. 

You don't ever need to put a PC outside. You put the PC inside and there is a long wire which runs outside to the controllers. LOR sell a device that plays the show on its own and doesn't need to connect to a PC. You could put this outside in a box if you want.

allow cars to hear the music via the radio.  

To accomplish this you need a low power FM transmitter. LOR sells one but it is not great and they have lots of problems. There are many availible though. The  CZE 05B is popular, but I don't have one yet so I can't say how good it is.

Your "controller system" will consist of several 16 channel (possible 4 channel) controllers. You need to decide how many channels you want and buy the correct amount of controllers. Use residential controllers, not commercial for now.

I recommend the starter package that LOR sells. If you are doing 2015, start small. No more than 32 channels.

• Like 1

The starter package is the way to go when first getting into this.  If you don't want to use your computer than either the mini director or regular Gen 3 Director are the way to go.  I started with the mini - director and fm transmitter but have upgraded to the full G3Director for this year.  The FM transmitter has worked ok (could be better - I have not had the failure problems that many have had) but I do plan to upgrade it next year if not this.    I started with the starter package plus 1 extra controller.  I had been doing lots of static lights for years so had enough to go with 2 controllers.  I've added 2 more this year (my 3rd year) plus some CCRs.

The starter package is the way to go when first getting into this.  If you don't want to use your computer than either the mini director or regular Gen 3 Director are the way to go.  I started with the mini - director and fm transmitter but have upgraded to the full G3Director for this year.  The FM transmitter has worked ok (could be better - I have not had the failure problems that many have had) but I do plan to upgrade it next year if not this.    I started with the starter package plus 1 extra controller.  I had been doing lots of static lights for years so had enough to go with 2 controllers.  I've added 2 more this year (my 3rd year) plus some CCRs.

Thank you very much.  My only true concern was to have a system that allowed me to pick the music to play, not LORs canned music selection.  I appreciate all the feedback.  It does help, alot!

\

I guess you want to create musical sequences; not your own music.

You don't ever need to put a PC outside. You put the PC inside and there is a long wire which runs outside to the controllers. LOR sell a device that plays the show on its own and doesn't need to connect to a PC. You could put this outside in a box if you want.

To accomplish this you need a low power FM transmitter. LOR sells one but it is not great and they have lots of problems. There are many availible though. The  CZE 05B is popular, but I don't have one yet so I can't say how good it is.

Your "controller system" will consist of several 16 channel (possible 4 channel) controllers. You need to decide how many channels you want and buy the correct amount of controllers. Use residential controllers, not commercial for now.

I recommend the starter package that LOR sells. If you are doing 2015, start small. No more than 32 channels.

Thanks.  The PC location was a concern of mine.  The LOR website isn't clear about its placement.  Thanks.

Thank you very much.  My only true concern was to have a system that allowed me to pick the music to play, not LORs canned music selection.  I appreciate all the feedback.  It does help, alot!

\

Thanks.  The PC location was a concern of mine.  The LOR website isn't clear about its placement.  Thanks.

You can pick any song you want and then sequence to that song.  LOR has programs you can buy but those include the music along with the sequence.  Most of them I believe can be edited so if you bought LOR Sequences you could edit them to your own selection of music.  Same goes if you buy sequences elsewhere.  there is also a forum here that has sequences you can get.

The link I gave you directs you to the starter pack and now is a good time, it is on sale on top of the bundled discount.

You can pick any song you want and then sequence to that song.  LOR has programs you can buy but those include the music along with the sequence.  Most of them I believe can be edited so if you bought LOR Sequences you could edit them to your own selection of music.  Same goes if you buy sequences elsewhere.  there is also a forum here that has sequences you can get.

It wouldn't be any good if you changed the music of a sequence.

Its that time of year again till Jan 1st. Time for me to clear out. I have a few choice things to say to a few people in this thread (Op and tomsusie) but  I am a nicer tamer person now days. LOL