Light-O-Rama Forums

Controllers

aesl1982

I'm seeing a bunch of v1 gen 1 controllers for sale. Will these work with s3 and s4 if I'm not on high speed

I'm seeing a bunch of v1 gen 1 controllers for sale. Will these work with s3 and s4 if I'm not on high speed

Yes. The controllers will work with S3/S4. As you noted they can not be used for high speed networks. If you have a high speed network you would need to place the g1/g2 controllers on a new network.

Correct that G1 and G2 controllers may need snubbers for LED circuits and generally G3 will not.

Also note that you can't run V1 and V2 controllers on enhanced networks (regardless of speed).

Correct above. I have 7 G1 controllers purchased from 2 different members here and they are still going strong. I didn't have to use snubbers. Lights were all from HLE if that makes a difference.

Basically if you have full wave no snubbers needed most likely. It big box stores may need snubber. Is a snubber as simple as a glade plug in, plugged into lights somewhere. I guess I could put a glade plug in on the dot cord just add a plug somewhere on cord ?

Ok how about this. If I have a updated G3-MP3 director. Will it xo troll the older controllers

Wanting to purchase the director but need to know if everything will work together

Yes, the G3 director will control older controllers, no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

quick question to add here regarding high speed connection. ive been running Gen 3/4 controllers with a Cat5 cable connecting to each one. Will mixing in Gen 1 be an issue? I guess im not really sure what high speed connection is being referred to?

Sorry if its a lame question, rather ask it tho.

Thanks

Gen 1 controllers won't do Enhanced protocol or 500k speed.

And what are you calling a Gen 4 controller?

If you link them all together, you can only use slower speeds.

And what are you calling a Gen 4 controller?

I thought you were a Gold Member. Gen4 controllers were released to us in the summer sale.

I'm sorry. I just had to.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

If you link them all together, you can only use slower speeds.

so whats the resolution here or actually recommendation?

if i link them all together will i see lagging/delay? 

Thanks

so whats the resolution here or actually recommendation?

if i link them all together will i see lagging/delay? 

Thanks

or do i create a new network just gor the Gen1 controllers? would this mean i new a second RS485?

If you want the faster speed for the controllers that can handle it, yes two networks. I do that for my year-round landscape lighting.

Regular network:

57k non-enhanced

2 x Input Pups

2 x 16 channel old AC controllers

1 x 8 channel old AC controller

AuxA network:

115k enhanced

3 x 16 channel DC controllers

AuxB network (Christmas only):

500k enhanced

3 x 100 pixel CCPs

Edited to improve formatting (I hope). Does not come out right from Tapatalk...

Edited by k6ccc

i mean how much of a difference will i see in speeds comparing Gen 1 to Gen 3?

ive used (4)Gen 3 for the past 2 years and i was given a (3) Gen 1. this would be the first year adding the Gen 1. if i cant run Gen 1 at the same speeds, then is it recommend to put them on their network? i know they cant run at the same speed but what am i looking as an end result? Gen 1 controlled strings slower than Gen 3?.....

Just trying to come up with a resolution so come show time, i don't only have half the show performing?

Thanks

Seven 16 channel controllers is only 112 channels. You would have a very hard time congesting a network at a slower speed. Put them all on one network at either 115 or 57k and you should be fine.

One other thing is that the Gen 1 controllers can't be used on an enhanced protocol network. That means you can't use the new Pixel Editor, and if you use SuperStar, you must export in legacy mode.

Seven 16 channel controllers is only 112 channels. You would have a very hard time congesting a network at a slower speed. Put them all on one network at either 115 or 57k and you should be fine. One other thing is that the Gen 1 controllers can't be used on an enhanced protocol network. That means you can't use the new Pixel Editor, and if you use SuperStar, you must export in legacy mode.

Jim,

thanks for the help and feedback. I just discovered Pixel editor, too late in the yr for me so wont have that issue with the Gen 1 controllers. looks like i might sell some off next year.

I will look into putting them all into a 115k network.

Thanks

Edited by Big Sanch Mafia