Light-O-Rama Forums

dumb rgb questions

chewinggum2

I am a total newbie to anything RGB.  Just bought the 8 strip dumb combo and controller at the sale.  Now Questions:

1.  Is there a training manual for sequencing them?  If so, I have been unable to find one.

2.  I have 8 ribbons with this package - do I just add 8 RGB channels?

3.  How do I make white?

4.  How do I copy and paste from old sequences,  i.e.:  window with red, blue and white into this new world?

Thanks for any help!

Robin

Let's see what I can answer for you.

1 - I think there are some tutorials, but I've never used one.

2 - Yes

3 - All three colors full on will produce a somewhat bluish white.  Play with levels using the hardware utility to see what the R, G, & B channels do to the color.  Decide what you like.

4 - If you have an existing white channel that you want to copy to the RGB, Select and copy the channel for the entire sequence.  Then use past multiple to paste to all three channels of the RGB.

• 4 weeks later...

BINGO!!!

Its a lot simpler then it looks! Just don't make every thing a big deal.... that's why they are called DUMB RGB! LOL just kidding. Its very easy to work with when you understand it. Jim has helped me out so much this year. He has a lot of good stuff on his web page.

Thanks again for all of your help Jim!

Edited by rednosetbird

I am a total newbie to anything RGB.  Just bought the 8 strip dumb combo and controller at the sale.  Now Questions:

1.  Is there a training manual for sequencing them?  If so, I have been unable to find one.

For sequencing video check LOR (main site, not the forum,  look under  videos, then under video tutorial, then scroll down to effect tools.

Lots of videos around on WHAT is RGB etc, same board and others

2.  I have 8 ribbons with this package - do I just add 8 RGB channels?

Dumb pixels (or ribbons) will use 3 channels for each string or strip,  (1) for each of Red/Green/Blue)   (8  ribbons at 3 each would be 24 channels).

3.  How do I make white?

White is equal amounts of Red,Green and Blue. (see effects tools for color picker)

4.  How do I copy and paste from old sequences,  i.e.:  window with red, blue and white into this new world?

A number of choices but not quick and easy in most cases.

Thanks for any help!

Robin

You can copy and paste from old sequences but keep in mind that your old sequences were just on and off. When you copy an old on/off sequence to the new RGB channels it will only turn on the first channel which is R so your sequence will all become red. You will have to go in and change to the color you want. Remember that each RGB channel is made up of three channels R-G-B.

I guess I should really call them RGB groups which are made up of three channels, R-G-B.

Edited by Mr. P

Just be sure you understand the differences of dumb and smart strips. Dumb strips are very, very easy... each strip, all one color, any color you wish, can change on the fly in the sequencing. Each of the strips uses 3 channels out of the 24 channel controller. One channel for each color as stated above. 8 strips x 3 channels = 24 channels. Basically, all that's happening is you are applying a constant +12V on one wire of the 4 to each strip. The other wires are the -12V for each color. The controller allows you to do just that but control that negative voltage to create the colors. The LOR controller plugs directly into the LOR RS485 buss.

On the other side of things are the "smart" strips. These are totally different in that you can control each individual pixel/node. These require an intelligent controller and not the one you bought. Most of these require an E1.31 DMX over TCPIP protocol and connect "only" to the TCPIP buss and DO NOT connect to the LOS Rs-485 buss. Doing so will fry the strips, controller, computer and/or anything else. The connector is the same so be warned in advance. So to toss in a complexity there, LOR's new pixcon16 controller, can talk to either buss. Got to be super careful which one is connected to which connector on the controller.