Light-O-Rama Forums

How many?

75redman

How many channels can you have in a universe? 

When/Why should you add additional universes?

512 channels in a DMX universe  170 pixels=510 channels used    add another universe when you have more pixels

Edited by Dennis Laff

Can you run multiple universe's on one usb45? Or do you need a usb45 for each universe? If you do need additional usb45, will a USB hub work?

Thanks.

Edited by 75redman

One universe per dmx dongle (RS485). Technically you can use a power USB hub to run multi universes but your still pushing data through a single USB port on the PC. You could maybe do 2 universes (again maybe)....anymore than that especially with busy effects and your going to have lag. My suggestion is either use separate USB ports for each universe or better....use a E1.31 bridge. There are several out there and range from 4 to 12 universes (maybe more) out of a single bridge.

CLD Kevin, any suggestions on where to buy a E1.31 bridge?

Many places do bridges. Search for "juryshef" on Ebay. That seller has a couple at reasonable prices.

If you are going to have/have any E1.31 pixel controllers, then remember they normally have an RS485 output on them.

What are you controlling?

EmmienLightFan, thanks for the information and maybe I am confusing two issues.  I am not familiar with E1.31 and when I read the above topic, I equated it to an issue I am currently trying to resolve and thought CLD Kevin's response would work for me. 

This is my issue.  First, I currently have no pixels in my show and don't plan on any this year.  My light display this year will be utilizing 18 LOR 16 channel controllers, 5 50W RGB Floods and 2 100 bulb CCB's.  All of which are required to be connected to my computer through cat5 cable (that is unless I want to spend the money on the wireless connectors but that is not high on my budget priority list right now.)  My controllers are set up around my yard in four general locations and would like to send a single CAT5 cable to each location however I am limited by the two CAT5 outputs on the RS485B unit that I am using.  I really need about 4, maybe CAT5 outs.  Based on the above, using multiple RS485B's on multiple USB outputs on the computer doesn't appear to be a good idea nor does using a USB hub.  Then I saw CLD Kevin's response and it sounded like the E1.31 bridge would work.  Now I think that might be overkill and that there is a simplier way of doing this. 

When looking up the model number of the RS485B unit that I currently have, I stumbled across the RS485 Network Repeater.  Will this give me the extra outputs that I need?   

Also, soory for the length of this post, didn't know any other way of explaining it. 

Thank you.

John 

John,

Unless there is some pressing reason that you want / need to run your LOR controllers using DMX, you would be better off to use LOR protocol.  I would put your CCBs on one LOR network and the rest of it on a second LOR network.  That way you would have 600 channels on the CCB network and about 300 on the everything else network.  That would not overly task either network and would only require two Cat-5 cables.  A lot cheaper than an E1.31 bridge and less complexity.

BTW, your RS-485B will have both outputs on the same network, so you would need a second USB-485 adapter.  I would get the high speed adapter - http://store.lightorama.com/usbrs485hs.html - and use that for the CCB network.  That way you can run the CCB network at 500K speed.

What k6ccc is suggestion is what you want. I only suggested the bridge because you were asking about multi dmx networks. Adding a second LOR adapter is all you need and would get the 500K adapter (red) for the CCBs.