Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone use their lighted animals in their light show?

Jaynee

There are some great shows that you guys are posting, but I have yet to see one that includes any of the lighted tinsel animals.

My husband and I have about 60 of those animals.  Usually we just have them all over the yard, but this year we're going to put them in a semi-circle from smallest in the front to tallest in the back.  Almost like a choir.   We're not doing a LOR show until NEXT year, and only planned on 16 channels, but I can make the case about getting additional 16 channels JUST for the animals so they can be included in the light show.

Does anyone have video that includes that kind of lawn display instead of just house lights, trees, arches, et. al?  would love to see something like that so I can see if I'm on the right track with my thinking.

I use 4 deer in yard. I would think your animals would work well in your yard. Especially, if you have 60 of them (get some more controllers)! Put them in a line, in a circle, in an arch, or in groups.

I tried lighting our animals, but couldn't get either dog to sit still while I wrapped the lights. I probably could have done the turtle, but that's been dead for a few years already.

• Like 5

I have two small and one large deer with white mini lights.  THe large one has a moving head.  I have all three set in my sequences and they work fine.  The head I simply plug into power and it runs whenever the power is on.  I only sequence the lights.  I don't have a video but do have a picture.

11400563543_85ffeff3da_n.jpgChristmas Deer by Tom, on Flickr

Edited by tomsusie

I animate my blow molds and wire frame deer{Christmas} and do the same for my Halloween shows, they may not be "tinsel" animals, but the same principle would apply for your tinsel animals, You can see my videos on Vimeo located at this url: https://vimeo.com/groups/109696

George S., You're just too funny! LOL

you could do them in groups, would still give you the wow factor without needing additional controllers.

Currently my 16 channels are being used for the lights in our display.  So the animals will stay lit 100% of the time and won't be part of the light show.  I'm hoping that won't be distracting.  If I get another controller,

I can use 4 channels to group the animals by pitch (i.e., bass, tenor, alto, soprano) from left to right, or 8 channels to sort by rows from front to back.  

Edited by Jaynee

That's what we're leaning towards doing.  We've decided to go ahead and do the LOR program this year - even if it's just 5-6 minutes.  We got word that some friends of ours, who are our main Xmas décor competition, are stepping up their game this year - they won't say WHAT, but we're thinking they are also doing musical lights.  So we're going to work hard over the next few months in order to have SOMETHING going with LOR this year.

We've pretty much decided to have the LOR programming run all the stuff on the house itself, and around the perimeter of the yard.  The animals will be on the interior, minding their own business. ;)

I do have to think twice about the inflatables - we have some really tall ones that will block the bush lights.  I wonder if my neighbor next door will let us park them in their yard (but plugged in at our house so it doesn't affect their electric bill)...

That's what we're leaning towards doing.  We've decided to go ahead and do the LOR program this year - even if it's just 5-6 minutes.  We got word that some friends of ours, who are our main Xmas décor competition, are stepping up their game this year - they won't say WHAT, but we're thinking they are also doing musical lights.  So we're going to work hard over the next few months in order to have SOMETHING going with LOR this year.

We've pretty much decided to have the LOR programming run all the stuff on the house itself, and around the perimeter of the yard.  The animals will be on the interior, minding their own business. ;)

I do have to think twice about the inflatables - we have some really tall ones that will block the bush lights.  I wonder if my neighbor next door will let us park them in their yard (but plugged in at our house so it doesn't affect their electric bill)...

Yea -- glad you're jumping in right away.  Even if a small show you'll be glad you didn't wait!  And your experience this year will just add to what you can do next year when you have lots more time to prepare!  Good Luck - hope we get to see a video when you're finished.

I got rid of my inflatables years ago, they are really awesome to fill in static displays, however, they generate too much noise for a musical display. 

I don't see a reason why you couldn't light your animals, and use then in your sequences.  If you are adding another box, go for it.  Depending on their layout, this could be a lot of fun.

• The topic was locked