Light-O-Rama Forums

12/50 Pixel tree setup

NEWTOUR

I hope I am just missing something obvious, but I was going to setup a new 12string x 50pixel per string mega tree today and the wizard in visualizer only lets you go to 170 per universe. I am I missing something? Please advise. Thanks for any and all suggestions, or even the occasional hey dummy you forgot to ?

A DMX universe only has 170 RGB channels.  510 channels divided by 3 (Red, Green, & Blue) equals 170 RGB channels per universe.

Edited by k6ccc

That is correct, remember that 1 string x 50 pixels uses 150 channels. So you can use 512 total channels or 170 pixels (510 channels).

right so the wizard asks me what universe and pixel, so when it is asking my the starting pixel # I am starting with universe#7 I can have multiple universe#7 starting with pixel #1 and that wont overlap? The would mean pixel string legs 1 through 4 would be universe 7 starting pixel # 1, then string leg 5 through 7 would be universe 8 starting pixel # 1etc. I don't get how that would work? Sorry for being slow I am just not getting it. Coudl I send someone a snip of my channel setup in SE and you could let me know if I set it up wrong?

A little bit of it depends on the hardware you are using.  Different hardware does have it's own set of limitation.  For example some controllers can't have a string cross universes, and some can.  Some controllers can address each string individually and some are addressed in groups.  Then to add to the complication, the Pixel String wizard in the S4 Visualizer has it's own set of limitations.  I'm re-arranging the strings on my pixel tree due to a combination of my hardware and the new Pixel strings in the S4 Visualizer.

I sent you my E-Mail address as a PM.  I'll take a look at your config.

The easiest way to put this, the max amount of complete strings in one universe is three that will use 450 of the 512 channels.

universe 7 = strings 1-3, channels 1-450 (20 pixels or 60 channels left open, not a complete string)

universe 8 = strings 4-6, channels 1-450 (20 pixels or 60 channels left open, not a complete string)

Go to the "Visualizer" folder, then to the "Editor" folder and then the "Samples" folder. There are 2 Pixel trees already set-up for both styles.

There is a 12 x 50, that uses 1 universe per string which you can re-assign channels to the above mentioned 3 strings per Universe using 450 total channels per 3 strings. This one would most likely be used if you're using a P12R/S/X from J1SYS.

There is also a 12 x 50 Pixel tree "Packed" file that splits a string where said string spans more that one universe. You will see Ribbon 4a and 4b, 7a and 7b, and then 11a and 11b. In these 3 strings, the universe ends at 170, and picks up on the next Universe and channel one of that Universe. This style is the one to use if you have a Sandevices E682, unless you're only using 3 outputs per cluster of 4.

I only mention these 2 controllers because it's what I use. I don't have any experience with the other E1.31 controllers so I don't know how they are configured.

Maybe this can help and you can see how to set up either.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the late response, LIFE ISSUES, THANK YOU,THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the support.  Now I still have to figure out how to setup the SE to match the channel configuration. I am using the E682 controller for pixels. I am still a little confused on the string two starts on pixel #51 how to get eh channels assigned and matching from SE. I thought when you set up your channel configuration in SE pixel one on string #2 is 151 string #3 is 301 and string 4 would move to next universe and be pixel #1 channel #1, etc? Is this all correct?NEwtour21881@gmail if it would help. Thanks guys