Light-O-Rama Forums

Convert CCR sequence to a Pixel sequence?

BMurray

I'm new to the RGB scene for the 2015 christmas season. I have a 12 CCR tree that works great. I purchased a pixel package I was going to use for a particular project but decided a pixel tree would be a lot more awesome. With the existing CCR (DMX) sequences I have. Can I play the same sequence on the pixels or is there a conversion I need to do....if at all possible. Would hate to spend the extra money on specific pixel tree sequences if I don't have too. Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated and MANY Thanks to those wiser than I

This is easy to do and yes, there's more than one way to accomplish it. If you have the CCR_SUP file, you can load it into the Superstar program, assuming you have the license level for the the number of CCR's you are doing. Once loaded, go to the Tools, Configuration pulldown, change the values to "Full Range" and select the "Export Raw Colors" option. Select the DMX output option. Close the menu. Now go to the file menu pulldown and select Export to Sequence Editor. There, specify the filename as you wish. It'll automatically set itself to the sequence directory in LOR. Tell it go export. Close the SS editor. Open the SE, select the sequence you just created. Now at this point, I personally create a new musical sequence, select the audio file, load the hardware configuration for your home, then also open the sequence you just created from SS. Selecting in SE, "Paste By Time" option on the left, then going to the new SS sequence, select all the rows you created, right click and copy. Go to the new sequence which is empty, go to the first channel of your pixel tree and paste there. Now, doing all that, assumes....you've done your hardware creation properly so that your pixel tree hardware, in the new sequence, is setup properly for your channels, controller, visualizer and so on and you saved it first!

I use this method as it was easier to add pixel tree sequence to an existing sequence that didn't have them, such as buying from holidaysequences.com but again, you MUST be sure your hardware profile, for your controller, is correct first.

Now another option is just open the purchased CCR sequence and remove the macro channels first then copy and paste....however....SS modifies the output to adjust for CCR's as their colors are slightly different. So you won't see the same color on the pixels as you would see on a CCR tree. If you wish to see the correct colors on a pixel tree, you'll need to modify in the SS editor first and re-save as I described. This is easier to do than it sounds and once you get the feel for it, you can do a lot of them quickly and simply.

I'm not sure if others have run into this, but I currently have my pixel tree running in my backyard and when converting to raw dmx colors some sequences looked terrible, I tried to use the regular superstar export colors, the light pink for white for example and they look 10x better. Much closer to the programmed color

Maybe its the type of pixels or the controller, I sure don't know. Mine looked pretty nice when I changed to raw. lol, maybe I better change back and check again! This coming year, I'm using the same pixel tree as last year with WS2811's but this year, also going to have a full tree with LPD6803's which are supposedly the same as CCR's, so those colors are the formal CCR color output. I won't know till I put them up. Testing them on the floor here, they looked fine.

Almost all LED RGB pixels have a similar color skew to what the CCRs have.  Therefore, letting SS export it with the color balance to "fix" a CCR will generally look better on most pixels.

S3 with E682, ws2811 pixels from diyledexpress. This video is with no converting done, just cut and pasted into the sequence from holidaysequences

Now run another test with them using full range and raw...see what you get then decide which looks better. If possible, do a second video too for comparison

Thanks for all the great info everyone. I got the day off later today. I work nights at PVHMC so in 7 hours I'll be home sitting in front of the computer to "Git er' done!!" 5 months and counting... man time is gonna fly.

Thanks for all the great info everyone. I got the day off later today. I work nights at PVHMC so in 7 hours I'll be home sitting in front of the computer to "Git er' done!!" 5 months and counting... man time is gonna fly.

5 months? lol, I've got about 70 days to get off my Christmas sequencing and finish my Halloween stuff lol. Then finish Christmas when the Halloween show is running. Crunch time is here

Yeah, I was thinking about doing a small Halloween display this year with just some singing monster faces. But I'm so into getting my Christmas display up with sequencing and props that I ain't got no time. I've been doing static displays for about 12 years. FINALLY got my first LOR 16 channel controller last year. This year for 2015: 12 strip DMX tree, 4 DMX rings, 16 string pixel tree, 4 singing Christmas trees and 3 more LOR controllers....whew!!!! After Christmas I'll start on my first Halloween display. And the madness begins.....

• 5 months later...

BMurray,

Did I read a prior post of yours correctly, that you built four CCR circles?  Do you happen to have a picture of your built CCR circles?

I will build four CCR circles for 2016, and I have already begun building my first sequence for them using SuperStar (using the great tip from Brian Bruderer on how to layout the sequence grid for four circles, using an imported visualization file named "Vis_Circles_4.sup" that is in the samples director).  But there are so many options provided here and other sites on how people have built and stabilize the actual circles.

Ed