Light-O-Rama Forums

Man! I thought we had this in V4...what am I missing?

David Barnett

You know it seems the more I learn on setting up my shows; the more I'm ready to give it up at times.

Didn't know a darn thing about terminators, till a few moments ago. great! another thing to try and figure out for my DMx/e1.31 setup.

Which brings me to this question:  In order to get things squared away with my Halloween and Christmas show layouts; I decided it would be best to start over on the configurations.

I'll be running my LOR controllers via DMX this year.  I understand the addressing etc.

However, I thought we had things set up now, that when you added a device(DMX Universe) you could tell the starting channels of the addresses. I was wrong!

I have to ask how I set this up now, because I'm not sure what to do now.

Halloween setup. I'll be running 4 universes.

Universe 1: I'll have 3 LOR 16ch CTB16 controllers(DMX mode), CMB2D/8RGB floods(DMX mode), 1CCB set/100strings/300ch(DMX mode)
Universe 2: 1 set of CCB (DMX mode)
Universe 3: 1 set of CCB (DMX Mode)
Universe 4: 1 set of CCB (DMX Mode)

These will be hooked up to a Pixlite 16 controller using the RJ45 plugs with crossover cables as a DMX bridge.

How in the heck do I now set up my LOR controllers to DMX and be able to assign different starting channels

I know my Unit 01 equates into DMX 1
I know that Unit 02 equates into DMX 17 and so forth.

IS this now going to be a royal PIA to number my DMX channels!

I thought I added my device, then selected that it was DMX and the starting DMX address, again I was wrong!

How do I keep the controllers separate but retain the DMX addresses?

Do I just have 1 DMX Universe of 512 channels? Up to my 4 required universes?

If so, then how am I going to add RGB stuff within those channels? ie my RGB floods and CCB's

The whole ideal of starting over was so I wouldn't have to go in the config editor, and renumber a bunch of frikken channels!

Am I missing something here?

In my channel layout it would be:
My 3 LOR controllers
CMB 24d(RGB floods)
4 CCB sets All in DMX mode.

Running 4.0.38 Pro. Haven't had a chance to update to the 4.1 yet.

Somebody please tell I'm missing something here, and there is hope.

Best,
David

Yes, you are making it far more complex than it needs to be.  I just tried it to make sure I wasn't talking out of my backside.  Took a couple minutes.  Your universe 1 is the only complex one - the other three are easy.  Here is what I did:

Insert a device with that device being a full DMX universe #1

Go to the first channel and create a group which contains channels 1 - 16.  Call the group CTB-1.

Go to channel 17 and create a group which contains channels 17 - 32.  Call the group CTB-2.

Go to channel 32 and create a group which contains channels 33 - 48.  Call the group CTB-3.

Go to channel 49 and create a group which contains channels 49 - 72.  Call the group CMB-1 (or maybe Floods).

Go to channel 73 and create a group which contains channels 73 - 80.  Call the group delete me.

Go to channel 81 and create a group which contains channels 81 - 230.  Call the group CCP 1-1.

Go to channel 231 and create a group which contains channels 231 - 380.  Call the group CCP 1-2.

Go to channel 381 and create a group which contains channels 381 - 512.  Call the group delete me.

Delete the two groups called delete me.

Go to the first channel in the group CMB-1.  Convert to RGB with name CMB-1 (or maybe Flood). Check the box for Also do this for following channels, and enter 8 times.

Go to the first channel in the group CCP 1-1.  Convert to RGB with name CCP 1-1. Check the box for Also do this for following channels, and enter 50 times.

Go to the first channel in the group CCP 1-2.  Convert to RGB with name CCP 1-2. Check the box for Also do this for following channels, and enter 50 times.

Now you have a group for each card or CCP.  Of course you can use different names if desired.  You can also changes names to the actual channel assignments.

Universes 2 - 4 are easier since they only have the CCPs starting at channel 1.

Hi jim. Thank You so much for the input. really appreciated.

However, I actually found a little easier way. Thank You BobO and Vegomatic! Here is what I did.

1 created a 48 channel DMX Universe for the LOR contoller stuff.

I then added the CMB 24D as RGB below the first 48 channels. Little PIA, as I had to manually change the channel number to the correct DMX channels.

Saved and exported that config. I then utilized vegomatic to create my 4 CCB's. Everything is setup for my new Halloween 2015

config.

Since I'm using some of the same setup on the pixlite16 for Christmas, that is already to go. I' ll import my Halloween cfg into my Christmas setup, use vegomatic for the CCR's, Megatree, and mini trees....I'm good to go on DMX addresses.

Thank You again for the input. Always another way to accomplish things, when we put our mind to it.

Best,

David