Light-O-Rama Forums

Superstar DMX configuration

greenie95125

I'm pretty new to the pixel scene, so bear with me if this is too simple for you guys ;-). I have a 12 strip pixel tree (50 pixels ea) and have sequences on superstar. My configuration in SS shows "DMX Universe 1, channel 1." When I export to the sequence editor, the file only contains 4 universes with 510 channels in each one. I expect to see 12 universes with 150 channels each. I'm missing a setting somewhere here, but I can't figure it out.

This is why I'm starting in July. :) Thanks for any help.

Mike

Pretty sure that 12 strings bring exported as 4 universes should be the default settings. I forget where, but there is an area where you choose how to export, should be the same window where you can choose to export the colors as raw dmx.

My license level is for 24 strips. Thanks for the replies thus far!

--Mike

That figure would be correct if you are using pixel packing ( 4 universes ). With CCR's they don't use Universes, they use LOR, which will give you 12 individual strips.

I think!

Edited by larryk5

Larry, I don't know what "pixel packing" is so I don't know if I'm using it. Also. the tree is e1.31 not CCR, which is why I'm trying to use DMX in the 1st place.

I should also clarify what happens when I export. Initially the exported sequence looks fine, the  channel buttons in the grid view show DMX CCR1 to DMXCCR 12. That's what I expect to see. It's when I go to Channel configuration where I see only 4 universes. Only the 1st 4 strips do anything during playback.

Thanks.

Mike

Pixel packing is when you use all 510 channels in a universe. Once universe 1 is filled the next channel will be universe 2, channel 1. You could have another universe start in a middle of a pixel strip. One universe will support 170 pixels before you have start a new one.

In other words one universe will support 3 50 pixel strips plus 20 on the fourth.

Superstar can be in CCR mode or Visualization mode. Prior to S4 if you were in CCR mode then you had to export using LOR unit IDs for your CCRs.

In S4 there is a DMX option in the configuration dialog box so that you can export using DMX universe and channels even if you are in CCR mode. However, it always exports using "fully packed" universes.

To export using anything other than "fully packed" universes you need to import a visualization and then superstar will use the universe and channels assigned in the visualization.

There are some visualizations in the S4 download that will make this easier. Do the following:

launch the visualizer

click on the File menu and select Open

navigate to the samples folder

I don't remember the exact names of the visualizations, but the names of the visualizations in the samples folder are self explanatory. You should be able to find a 12 string superstar visualization that is made from DMX pixel strings and is not fully packed. Open that visualization.

Click on the fixtures of the visualization and you will see the DMX universe and channel assigned to each string. If it is not want you want, change to be what you want.

Save the file

launch superstar

click on the File menu and select Import Visualization

import the visualization file that you just saved.

when you export the sequence it will use the universe and channels in the visualization.

Sorry to take a while to answer this, I am out of town attending a nephew's wedding and don't always have access to my computer.

Thanks Brian. That worked. Like I said, I'm new to the pixel scene, so I have a lot to learn. I had never messed with visualizations (one thing at a time), so it hadn't occurred to me to try. Thanks for the excellent instructions. Congrats to your nephew!

--Mike