Light-O-Rama Forums

S#!t help help help

Heffo

Hi all was just wondering if someone can help me was doing some sequencing in ss was finished the song I was doing and I went to save it and accidentally hit the NEW button not to sure if I can retrieve it or not can not seem to find it any were I have saved it before but when I try to load it it dose not come up S#!T hope I don't need to do it all agen HELP HELP HELP

If you saved it, it's on your hard drive ... somewhere. Now to find it.

When you say you try to load the file but it doesn't come up ... are you saying that you can find the file on your machine, but it doesn't appear to have your changes there?

There is also a 'recent' tab when you go to open LOR Sequences in the SE (Sequence Editor.) Does the file show up there?

Don I believe he was sequencing with superstar.

Heffo when you hit new there should of been a pop up asking if you want to save the file before the new one opens.

At least thats what happened when I just tried it.

Even if your are about to shut down Superstar a pop up will come up & say do you want to save it. Like was mentioned all ready even if you clicked on new, the pop up to save it should appear. If you click no by accident then it might be gone, or at least that portion that you were working on. If you saved it before any modifications you made since this untimely incident then that portion should still be there. 

Edited by lightzilla

Yes I have had it ask me before if I want to save changes but this time it just went to a new seqence the file is there but when I load it it just comes up as a blank sequence I am going to switch my computer on now let's see if ti comes back wish me luck but some how I don't think so

Not sure if this will work, but you may be able to use the Windows Restore and possibly restore your computer back to a time when the file was there before you made all the new changes, so those may be gone, but you might be able to get the file back using this method.    I've used it to restore a file in the past, had to redo all the stuff over I had added, but at least my previous work was able to be retrieved.    So you might want to try that and see if it works.  If not, then the file is long gone and you'll have to start all over from the beginning.

Thanks for your help everyone well I lost it so just started all over from the start more late nights coming oh well lucky I have been using ss since it came out so I have a fair idea on what is going on so now my time will go 7am to 5pm work 5pm to 7pm kids to bed and tea 7 pm to 1am sequencing he he he he he oh then repeat repeat repeat repeat

Good practice to periodically save a file as you work on it, just not at the end of a session.

• Like 1

And once you have saved your sequences, back everything up.   Redundancy, Redudancy, Redudancy.  Trust me on this.

I have mentioned it before in various threads, but I'm going to give my file saving concept as an idea.

First a hardware description:

I use my primary desktop as my sequencing computer.  There is a separate show computer that for the most part is never used for anything else.  Lastly I have a file server where all the files are stored.  On both the desktop and the show computer, I have a mapped network drive for a folder on the server.  In both cases the mapped network drive shows up as L: (I made it easy to remember).  Therefore when I went through the initial process where you tell the software to find and store the files, it's on the root of L: drive.  The mapped drive is in reality a folder on a RAID-1 redundant drive array so a single drive failure does not cause any loss of data.

Now for what I do:

Pretty much any time I save a file I include the date and a revision letter in the filename.  For example if I'm working on a song called "Christmas", the filename would be "Christmas 2015-07-30a" if it were the first revision on July 30th of 2015.  Next save in that session would be "Christmas 2015-07-30b", and so on.  Depending on what I'm doing, I might save after a few minutes or maybe as much as a half hour (although seldom that long).  Anytime I'm going to do something that might not work and wipe stuff out, I save before I try that change.  That way, if my changes screws up, I can just reload the most recent saved file.  At the end of the work session I might have files with revision letters a through m (to pick an example).  I will usually delete most of the intermediate filesnames after I'm sure I won't need to go back to an older version.

Now the backups part:

Normally the hard drives on the server are backed up to an external drive which is stored at my office (26 miles away) every weekend.  I have two external drives and they are alternated for backups.  First work day after the backup (usually Monday or Tuesday), the backup drive is taken into work.  On Friday the drive with the older backup is brought home and used for the weekend backup.  That way there is always at least one backup stored at work.  Additionally I copy the sequences to Google Drive at the end of almost every sequencing session for another off-site backup.

I am a VERY strong believer of off-site backups.  It does not help you to have a backup disk sitting on a shelf next to the computer if a thief cleans you out and takes the backup drive, or if your house burns down.

BTW, I have also used date and time instead of date and revision letter.  In that case the example above would be "Christmas 2015-07-30_1339".  I highly recommend using dates and times in the order I suggest because it means the filenames will sort right.

I can't over emphasize to do backups. And not just to drop box. External drive, thumb stick, something that is seperate from your network.

I had randsomwear attack my computer and everything networked to it....including Dropbox. Lost lots of good stuff. So please take my advice....external backup. After every bit of sequencing work done. Don't forget visualizer files....channel exports...props and fixtures...clipboards. Everything!!!

Sax

Yep! I lost my hard drive, but I had everything backed up on a thumb drive and an external hard drive. Hard drives are cheap nowdays.

I can't over emphasize to do backups. And not just to drop box. External drive, thumb stick, something that is seperate from your network.

I had randsomwear attack my computer and everything networked to it....including Dropbox. Lost lots of good stuff. So please take my advice....external backup. After every bit of sequencing work done. Don't forget visualizer files....channel exports...props and fixtures...clipboards. Everything!!!

Sax

Never thought about that, ransomware taking Dropbox to; Good to know

At some point in the year, I usually back up to a dvd also