Light-O-Rama Forums

SS4 Clipping Issue and/or Matrix Snaking Conundrum

mrmophandle

I've built a 25Hx24W vertically snaked CCP matrix (before I realized SS4 doesn't like that).  I've tried several ways of getting SS4 to accept the layout of the matrix (Controller 1 Pixel 1 is Top Left), but nothing I do seems to be a workaround for SS4 not liking vertically snaked Consecutive Pixel Runs.   :huh:

Alright, no big deal, we are talking about a square here, so I tipped it over on its side.   B)

So now I have a 24Hx25W horizontally snaked CCP matrix.  SS4 does not complain when importing the visualization.  Hooray, kinda.  When I draw pixels individually (in Scene Mode), I can address all 600 pixels with no issues (see image1).  When I attempt to use Smooth Effects Mode, Image Mode, or Text Mode, only half of the Matrix appears to work (image 4).  The clipping box (yellow outline) only allows me to work with the bottom half of the matrix (image 2).  Manually clipping ([Foul Language Used] Left click and drag the whole matrix) doesn't work, it changes the box outline to red (image 3).   :wacko:

So...I have two questions.

1) Is there a way to use SS4 with a matrix that has consecutive pixels in vertically snaked runs (see image 5)?  Even if I have to draw this out manually in Visualizer (not use the Matrix Wizard) I'd prefer my matrix to be vertically aligned.  

2) If I can't have #1, I'll need to understand why clipping is only allowing me to see half of the matrix for some effects, and the whole thing for others.

Images available here.

Thank you,

Ryan P

Yes, I got lazy and didn't support a vertical snake. I really ought to support that. And the clip rectangle thing is a bug. I will look into it.

It turns out there is a work around though. Do the following:

1) launch the visualizer

2) open your "vertical snake" visualization

3) bring up prop containing the "vertical snake" and click on the "delete" button

This will delete the prop but keep all the fixtures.

4) save the visualization as "VerticalSnake_no_prop"

5) launch superstar

6) click on the File menu and select "Import Visualization", import "VerticalSnake_no_prop"

7) In the "Import Visualization" dialog box:

set "max length" to 25

set "Vertical" and "Normal"

And the clip rectangle thing is a bug. I will look into it.

Awesome!  Thank you for the reply.  Let me know if you need any of my files to replicate the issue.

I think I took one step forward, and one step back.  I'm able to import the visualization without issues, but my pixels aren't lining up (can't think of a better way to describe it).  The vertical columns line up perfectly, but the horizontal appears to be every other upside-down

I've linked images in the sentence above to illustrate the issue.  Thank you again for your help.

I don't know why that is happening. It is working on my computer. Please email your visualization to brian@superstarlights.com and I will take a look at it.

Received your visualization. When making the visualization in Matrix wizard in the visualizer, after clicking on Ok, it gives you 3 options. It looks like your visualization was made using the 2nd option. Choose the 1st option and it should work.

I've built a 25Hx24W vertically snaked CCP matrix (before I realized SS4 doesn't like that).  I've tried several ways of getting SS4 to accept the layout of the matrix (Controller 1 Pixel 1 is Top Left), but nothing I do seems to be a workaround for SS4 not liking vertically snaked Consecutive Pixel Runs.   :huh:

Alright, no big deal, we are talking about a square here, so I tipped it over on its side.   B)

So now I have a 24Hx25W horizontally snaked CCP matrix.  SS4 does not complain when importing the visualization.  Hooray, kinda.  When I draw pixels individually (in Scene Mode), I can address all 600 pixels with no issues (see image1).  When I attempt to use Smooth Effects Mode, Image Mode, or Text Mode, only half of the Matrix appears to work (image 4).  The clipping box (yellow outline) only allows me to work with the bottom half of the matrix (image 2).  Manually clipping ([Foul Language Used] Left click and drag the whole matrix) doesn't work, it changes the box outline to red (image 3).   :wacko:

So...I have two questions.

1) Is there a way to use SS4 with a matrix that has consecutive pixels in vertically snaked runs (see image 5)?  Even if I have to draw this out manually in Visualizer (not use the Matrix Wizard) I'd prefer my matrix to be vertically aligned.  

2) If I can't have #1, I'll need to understand why clipping is only allowing me to see half of the matrix for some effects, and the whole thing for others.

Images available here.

Thank you,

Ryan P

What I've found, is the Manual box is a bit sensitive to where you start the pointer and where you end. Use of the Windows Magnifier will help you get a better idea of where to start and end your rectangle. After you get an idea where the software wants those points, you'll not need the magnifier any longer.

Just a tidbit of info from a fellow user.