Light-O-Rama Forums

New to configuring E1.31

dkunesch

Not sure what I am doing wrong.  I am using a Pixlite 16 controller, have S3 Software, and an advanced license.  I plug the controller into my ethernet jack of my laptop.  I ping the controller and it sends and recieves the data, the comm listener appears to be listening but when I play the sequence nothing happens. I am trying to run a 12 or 16 channel CCR megatree but all the lights on my CCR's just remain white.  Am I missing something?  do I still need to run thru a dongle before going into a controller?  (I can't even get the controller to perform a test demo.  This is getting frustrating.  I am sure it is just a simple configuration error but I just can't find it.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Don

First of all, you said you are using CCRs, but that would not normally be

of a Pixlite, so what are you actually trying to light?

The usual questions. Is Control Lights checked and does it stay checked?

Do you have a LOR dongle plugged in (even if you're not using it for LOR controllers)? If not, do you have any LOR networks defined in your network preferences, and if not, did you follow the procedure to load the support files that are needed (normally loads when the USB drivers are loaded)?

I'm not specifically familiar with the Pixlite, does it have a test mode that must be turned off in order to behave normally?

Is the Comm Listener running?

Are you trying to control the lights with Sequence Editor, a show, or something else?

That's enough for now..

I purchased the 16 CCR megatree kit from Holidaycoro.  Per their instructions, configured each 50 pixel CCR as 1 universe each starting at channel 1 and ending at 150.  Each strip was plugged into 1 channel of the 16 channel pixlite controller.  Purchased the "God Bless the USA" 12 channel CCR sequence from LOR and reconfigured the channels as Raw DMX and changed the universes and channel numbers to coinside with my controller.  Control lights is checked but I don't believe it stays checked, I do not have a LOR dongle plugged in and deleted any LOR networks from the network preferences.  I did not know about any support files, and lights act the same in or out of test mode.  I was running the sequence with sequence editor.

Don

RAW DMX is most likely your culprit. You have to set up the network preferences to use E1.31. For each Universe, the E1.31 column should have the IP address of the controller in it. In my set-up on the "Network Configuration" page, I have the following:

Unv 1    192.168.101   E1.31 - Port 5568

Unv 2    192.168.101   E1.31 - Port 5568 etc., etc.

If you'r not set up for E1.31, the PC and SW are not talking to the controller

• Like 1

Went back thru and checked my configuration and found some ip address issues.  Got it working fine now.  Thanks for the replies!

Don

• Like 1

Don, glad you got it working.  I wanted to point out something that will cause confusion.  I'm not trying to put you down, but rather to educate you.  You insist in calling the lights you are using CCRs (short for Light O Rama's Cosmic Color Ribbons).  They are not CCRs.  CCRs are a specific product that is connected, and powered a specific way.  When you call a light strip a CCR, we all assume that it's really the LOR product and answers will be based on that.  That was why I asked in post #2 since a CCR is not driven by a PixLite controller.  I went to HolidayCoro's website to make sure I knew what they were selling that you are referring to.  As I suspected, they are selling WS2811 pixel nodes for their MegaTree.  These are strings of pixels rather than a strip, and the communication is not the same as a CCR.  It would sort of be like asking for advise on fixing a manual transmission in a Ford truck when you are actually trying to fix the automatic transmission in your Dodge sedan.

I am going to suggest that you take a look at the couple of web pages starting at:

http://sandevices.com/aboutrgbpixels.html

After a few pages, there is a link to a powerpoint presentation.  Take the 10 minutes to go through the powerpoint.  The information between the two will help bring you up to speed on RGB lighting.  There is a lot to learn and we all had to go through it.

Any further questions, please feel free to ask.

FYI, This year, I'm doing a new pixel tree, using LPD6803 strips, which happen to look precisely like CCR's. Of course, they don't come with LOR's custom controller for them. Now if they look the same come show time, time will tell. They will be controlled with an E6802 controller via E1.31