Light-O-Rama Forums

The neighbor from hell

TitusCarnathan

DevMike, to drive your point home.....when mental illness causes someone to shoot up a church, and kill 9 people, we focus on a flag as the reason for it, while the mental illness gets no mention at all.

Well we already notified her family about it and they laughed about it when we told them the Truth what's going on. They don't want to listen to us And If we gave in to everything she wanted we would have bare land on the north half of our property. We would end up having to tear up a rose bush of ours because she doesn't want it where it is on our property, our one shed pissed her off where we put it, And there's a bunch of other things she complains about on our property. Sorry until she pays the bills It's staying where it is. Her family thinks that they still own the land and can tell us what to do on it. We bought it from them over 10 years ago, sorry this is America not the USSR. She'll eventually get tired of loosing the battle and start on another neighbor soon.

So what are you people with all the answeres saying? should I get her 302ed (commited). Since her family doesn't want to believe us that she is loosing it, I don't have many options. I understand you have to respect people with problems, but I can't give into every thing this vindictive person wants. She's putting stress on this household.

George does your neighbor talk to the trees as well?

Edited by TitusCarnathan

I just installed Night Owl HD. 

I don't have a crazy neighbor, but I am sure I will get another when they finish remodeling the house from the last renters.

I understand your frustration with your neighbor. We had a crazy neighbor that we moved next to a couple of years ago and it was the worst experience ever!! They had big dogs that would bark all the time. I asked them several times to help with the barking and they did nothing. It got so bad that we ended up going to court over it and they lied like it was no tomorrow about it and I had plenty of video showing the dogs barking at all hours of the day and night.

It got so bad and they were so hateful about it that we just ended up moving after about six months of living next to them. The expenses of moving and all was well worth getting away from them and I pray we never get another neighbor like them again. I am sorry you are having this issue.

Talking to the trees may not necessarily be a sign of mental illness, many Earth and Nature based religions actually do this to honor nature and what the trees give us, air{oxygen}, shade, homes for birds and squirrels.     Just saying, if you see someone talking to or even hugging a tree, it may not be because they have mental issues, it just may be their religious belief of Mother Earth and Mother Nature.  

NOTE: I AM NOT endorsing any religions here or bringing it up for argument, just bringing that aspect up to show that because someone does something others may find strange or wierd, they aren't necessarily crazy or mentally ill, just practicing their faith in an Earth and Nature based religion.   And I know a lot of folks may not understand that, but it's true.

But video cameras with sound would be an excellent investment to prove to those family members this woman is acting a bit way too peculiar.   Sadly, sometimes you have to show family members proof before they'll believe it, even then, they still have a hard time believing it.

Edited by Orville

That depends on the State, in Florida you have to have each parties consent, HOWEVER, when it comes to "Security Cameras", that's a different ball game entirely!   If they happen to catch a person and catch audio, doesn't matter, they are there to supposedly protect your property and family.   But if you were to point and hold a hand held camera or phone and record the video/audio, then that is totally different from using Security Cameras.      Getting ready to install some around my home in the near future and I've checked with local law enforcement about it.   So if they had a security camera on their home and it is set to view the perimeter of their home, and it catches someone doing something like what they are stating about the woman, it can be used against the woman to prove she is harassing them.   Perfectly legal.

Edited by Orville

You can record voice on your own private property but not someone elses property.

Nope she started it up again. I can't do anything in our yard without her comming out taking pictures or stiring the pot.

Go to you local farm and garden store and get a load of compost then spread it along the property line.

It will stink to high heaven for a week, but at least you know she won't be out near it.

Your roses and everything else you plant there will soar to the sky.

Leyland cypress is your next purchase. In five years they will be big enough that her thoughts won't matter.

You can legally record anything that is outside and in view/ hearing distance...

You cannot record threw peoples windows if you have to sneak around to do it or hide cameras to do it but If windows/ blinds are open you can legally record what is viable from your own property/ public property. 

Its not legal if you tress pass to record/ video it.

Have you though of maybe setting up cameras to record things... maybe be on your own property and record her assaulting you either verbally or physically and then using that to help get her the help she needs or to get rid of her...

Many Local News stations like to put neighbor from hell videos on the news. and Maybe that will help wake up her family so they intervene.

So what are you people with all the answeres saying? should I get her 302ed (commited). Since her family doesn't want to believe us that she is loosing it, I don't have many options. I understand you have to respect people with problems, but I can't give into every thing this vindictive person wants. She's putting stress on this household.

George does your neighbor talk to the trees as well?

I said absolutely NOTHING about having all the answers.  I was simply trying to give you some perspective.  I was asking you to empathize, to try to get you to understand that people like this are ILL and not DEFECTIVE.  

To let you explain to your 8 year old grandson that, "This person is sick.  Just like some people have things like Diabetes, or perhaps they are deaf,  or even others who may have a malformed body part, this person has an illness with how their brain functions.  Since their brain is not working like most others, they may behave in ways that are very different than you or I.  Ways that we would consider strange or bizarre.  These people don't WANT to be that way any more than you want to have a broken leg, or grandpa want's to have a heart attack.  But unfortunately because the illness is in their mind, they don't understand they are sick.  When you break a leg or don't feel well, your brain lets you know that.  But if your brain itself is not working correctly, could you still tell if you were sick?"

As for what you can do, that was the second part of my message.  The simple answer:  not much, if anything at all.  If you are sick, you can get treatment.  Heart attack, stubbed your toe, whatever.  If I see you unconscious on the street I make one phone call and help is on its way.  But if your mind has completely stopped functioning correctly - if you are expecting a fence to keep out birds - if a voice is telling you that you should go shoot people because God says so - if you have completely lost the capability of RATIONAL thought - there is diddly bupkis I can do.....  And that is WRONG.  You will find it is nearly impossible to 302, or Baker Act, or whatever the law in your place needs to do to get her the help she needs - until she hurts herself or someone else.  

In fact, the need to get the law involved at all is the root issue.  You don't need a court to say 'I've weighed the evidence.  He's had a heart attack.  He needs some help.'  Why do you need the law involved to say 'This person is mentally ill.  They need some help'?

I have no easy answer for you on what to do.  I certainly sympathize with you - you are in a difficult position, and I wish I could give you an answer.  But I can speak from personal experience on how hard it is to get help when you need it...  That how those with a mental illness need empathy, not finger pointing and name calling.  That what they are saying or doing is correct to them - even if it is 100% at odds with rational thought.

• The topic was locked