Light-O-Rama Forums

RDS shell commands

Paul L Johnson

IF I want to send RDS messages to someone's car radio such as Show Name or Song Title, do I need some type of RDS encoding software or just LOR and Windows?   If so what software do you recommend?     Thanks in Advance

The FM transmitter that you use, must have the RDS capability built into it, to send text to the newer car radios. I personally bought and use the EDM-RDS model for this exact reason during the Christmas Season. I'm only sending the title of the song. I can't speak for other transmitters as I truly don't know. EDM has a downloadable software called "TinyRDS" or use to be "MiniRDS". This is where you program in what you wish to transmit. In LOR, you can use the SE's Edit pulldown, then command line to issue a batch command to the computer. The batch command will then enter whatever text you want, into an rds.txt file that the EDM-RDS will read. I create multiple text source files, one for each song and matching batch files for each sequence. The batch command simply copies over the rds.txt file contents with the source text file contents, closes the file and stops. This batch command is saved in the actual sequence. Now last I heard, it will not function unless its in the full show player mode so just running a manual sequence from the SE, will not cause this file to change. Only the show player will make it work on its own. I don't know if that fact has changed with the new software or not.

Edited by dgrant

Actually you don't need to do all the batch file stuff since, I believe, S3.

This is an easier way, and it works from the show player or the SE.

This method also works and saves having to create all those txt and batch files, but you do have to have the metadata fields populated in the sequence info.

RDS Data From Light O Rama S3 and Later

1. Create the following  one line text file in Notepad or similar. Call it  RDS.CMD

ECHO %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 > "C:\rds\rds.txt"

2. Create a folder, c:\RDS and save RDS.CMD to it.

3. If your sequences do not have the song info in them you will need to enter it.

In sequence editor, EDIT/Sequence Info,  enter song info into Music Artist, Title and Album.

4. For each sequence enter the following Windows Command. Edit/Windows Command.The same line in every sequence.

C:\rds\rds.cmd %MEDIA_TITLE% By %MEDIA_ARTIST%

This will call the Title and Artist metadata from the Seq info and write it into C:\RDS\Rds.Txt  as Title By Artist.

Each Time a sequence starts it will send the new Metadata to RDS.txt.

Then It's just a question of pointing Your FM Transmitter program to C:\RDS\RDS.txt.

The RDS folder can any place you want it to be, I just used C: as an example, but obviously the paths above would need to all changed to whatever directory you are using.

I believe this technique only works with S3 and later. Earlier versions have to use the Batch and Text file method.

There Is a list of available metadata tags in the S3 Help file under Windows Command.

Phil    MIIP   fully supports RDS for you.  The values do not need to be in the sequence if you want to define them for miip but it will pull the values from the sequence and from the mp3 as a starting point.

Understood Bob. Thanks

Just one more reason to use Miip

Already loading up my songs and testing for 2015