Light-O-Rama Forums

Mounting a controller

sjsocane

Ok I have a question, or more of a statement to see if I am missing anything.    I plan on mounting my Cable Guard1500 box to a wooden stake raised over three feet off the ground.  I put silicone on the areas (2) where I drilled through the box to mount it with screws.  It will be permanently mounted outside and in the Florida weather.  So heart is a concern as well as rain.  I know wood absorbs water but the heat in Florida is also quick to evaporate the water.  The wood is treated so should withstand some of the elements at least for a little while.  I am waiting for the Summer sale and then I will buy the LOR stand for controllers to hold my other controllers.  Can someone think of something I haven't?  I considered cover the box with a plastic bag, but was unsure if the temps would get outrageous as it can easily get over 100 degree in the sun hear and thought between the humidity and heat that might be a recipe for disaster.  Thoughts on any or all the above?

Thanks for taking the time to read this question/idea/statement/opine

William

I don't think LOR sells a stand for the controllers. Some of the other vendors do sell them.

Yes I believe they do sell them. Also, instead of mounting it on a wooden stake, you could mount it on 3/4" EMT conduit.

I thought about that but the power source is also being mounted on the post.  It is "waterproof" but I also added extra silicone to the item as well.  I am trying to keep it as clean as possible and the wooden stake is square with close to the size of the power source.  I may look at doing that with my regular controllers if I don't buy it from wowlights.

Mine were not permanently mounted, but I mounted them to 1/2" rebar, about 4' long.  I used pipe clamps, nuts / bolts and rubber gasket material as an insulator between the clamp and rebar.  Worked great for the 4 months the controllers were up in Oklahoma.

Edited by LarryDrumAZ
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I mounted mine on the small metal fence posts, (Home Depot / Lowes has a couple different size posts)... Attached a strip across like making a cross.. attached my controller boxes to that.

I bolt them on so I can remove them if I want to and just hammer the post into the round where i want to put a controller and then bolt them on... Takes me about 5 minutes to place the pole plus mount the controller..

I could save a little time by leaving them mounted but I remove them to hammer the post in so I dont want to take the chance of the hammer vibrations damaging the controller.. I made two mounts from each post but can mount more then one controller to a post also just by adding a cross pieces to it.