Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB questions

mavrick331

This season will be my 3rd light show...so I'm still wet behind the ears....  During the last sale, I bought the RGB 8 pack w/ controller.

My questions are, can I mount CMB24D  and the LED power supply in the same box?  Secondly, can I add wire from the controller to the ribbons?  It appears the current wire length is 6 feet, my thoughts were to add to it on the bare side to the controller.

Thanks, Rick

To your first question the answer is yes. That's what I have done & second question is yes as well. Just make sure that the wire is a sufficient gauge to account for any voltage drop.

Here is an excellent video that shows how power drain happens.

http://blog.holidaycoro.com/2013/05/a-demonstration-of-effects-of-power.html

I don't know if anyone has done longer distances or not, (looks as thought there have been) but there's a simple way to test out the theory. Hook 'em up, add your extensions, turn it on full white. If you see any anomalies, such as in the video, then it won't work.

Thanks Darryl, forgot about wire gauge.

Edited by Ron Boyd

I mount the CMB24D and power supply in same enclosure. Using 12 foot pigtails to RGB ribbons with success.

Make sure the power supply is of enough current capability to handle the load you are powering. A good example, I was testing 16 strips with LOR's power supply. Well, when I commanded all white on all 16, it suddenly went dark. Turns out, I toasted the power supply and its impossible to take apart to repair. Their external power supply is only rated for 200 watts or 16 amps. I didn't think...and it cost me.