Light-O-Rama Forums

HELP - Switch to Win7 and Download to Standalone wont work

bh758

I just switched from an XP computer to a new computer with windows 7. I moved my serial to RS485 connector to it and installed 2.9.4 Advanced. When I go to Light-O-Rama Hardware - Standalone and click Refresh, it finds my two units without any problems. I select a sequence (of N bytes) to download and click download. It downloads to entire thing and then gets stuck on Byte N+1 and then a few seconds later shows the error: "Download has failed due to excessive errors. Check that the controller has good connections. It is best to have only one controller connected while download sequences."

I have never had this happen to be before and just downloaded a sequence last month to it using my old XP computer so I highly doubt it is LOR hardware or wiring related. I change my sequence often (seasonally) and know how to remove the old one, etc., but have never seen this. Is there something that needs to be changed in windows 7 for this to work properly? What might I be missing?

Thanks,

Brian

post-5404-0-01751600-1434832069_thumb.jp

cant help you but I would submit a ticket to lor when I have had computer problems they have been quite helpful

You have two devices connected. Try just one.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

Did you first install the drivers for the USB adapter from our website?

There could have been a voltage surge and it might have scrambled the brains of some of the electronics.  Let's do a reset of the CMB16. 

To set all device parameters back to factory defaults and erase any stand-alone program, power the controller down, set the Unit ID switches to 00 and power it up. The Status LED will flash quickly. Power the controller down and set the Unit ID back. 

Now run your tests again.

I reset both of them as described and then tried programming with only the first one connected. Still the same thing.

Why would I have to install the USB driver if I am using the older serial port to 485 adapter?

Thanks,

Brian

Mike would have to answer that one, but I recall there are some Comm files that get loaded when the USB drivers are installed. I know they are required E1.31 for example.

I reset both of them as described and then tried programming with only the first one connected. Still the same thing.

Why would I have to install the USB driver if I am using the older serial port to 485 adapter?

Thanks,

Brian

Sorry, you don't need to install drivers if you are using the Serial to RS485.  That would also mean you have very old controllers.  Make sure you have updated the firmware on both of them to the most recent, do the reset after, and try again.

See, that's what is funny about the whole thing, for my old XP computer, I was using the same controllers, same software (2.9.4), and the same original LOR 232 to 485 adapter. All worked fine consistently. That is what keeps making me think it might be windows 7 related.

Thanks,

Brian

Trust me.  It's not Windows 7 related.  We've had absolutely no issues with Windows 7 like that.  

If you like, go ahead and open a help desk ticket.  But the first thing we (I) will have you do is update the firmware ;)

So I was browsing the LOR Firmware page and noticed the RS485 driver at the bottom of the page. It said it was for the SC485 too, but I just finished reading multiple places (site/pdfs) that the serial converter should work as-is without drivers. I installed it and my sequence download worked again......maybe you should rethink saying the serial converter does not need any drivers. :)

Thanks,

Brian