Light-O-Rama Forums

Is this confusing?

LOR Staff

I had a customer who expressed that the page is confusing, but I personally don't see it.  That is not saying that the page isn't confusing -- Sometimes when you are so close to something you become blind as to what you are actually looking at (See:  http://cgiss.boisestate.edu/~billc/Writing/proof.pdf )

Pop quiz!!!!  Pretend that you want to order the Showtime Central.  Take a look at this page and then answer the following:

http://store.lightorama.com/shcestpa.html

1 -Yes or No:   If I purchase this kit, no matter what options I select, will I always receive:

ShowTime Central with miniDirector and FM Transmitter
S3 Basic Plus Suite License
USB Adapter and USB filtered cable
50' Cat5 cable to connect Director and light controller

2 - Is a 16 channel AC controller included if I spend $569.95?

3 - What is the additional cost if I would like 3 total 16 channel AC controllers?

4 - What is the cost if I don't want any controllers?

Did not appear confusing to me now or when I ordered this a couple years ago.

1.) everything included is clearly indicated

2.) it does state a 16 channel AC Controller is included in the package for $569.95

3.) it does show options for adding additional controllers and the additional cost.  As well as the additional cost if a Plug-n Show card was added

4.) It does not show what the cost would be without any controllers but then it shouldn't since it is a start-up package which would require at least one controller.

Don't see what the problems is personally.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. 1089.85

4. That is not an option; buy the individual components.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

1. Yes - plus one 16 channel AC controller.

2. Yes

3. 519.90

4. Package includes 1 controller. Option for package with no controller is not available on this page.

I had a customer who expressed that the page is confusing, but I personally don't see it.  That is not saying that the page isn't confusing -- Sometimes when you are so close to something you become blind as to what you are actually looking at (See:  http://cgiss.boisestate.edu/~billc/Writing/proof.pdf)

Pop quiz!!!!  Pretend that you want to order the Showtime Central.  Take a look at this page and then answer the following:

http://store.lightorama.com/shcestpa.html

1 -Yes or No:   If I purchase this kit, no matter what options I select, will I always receive:

ShowTime Central with miniDirector and FM Transmitter

S3 Basic Plus Suite License

USB Adapter and USB filtered cable

50' Cat5 cable to connect Director and light controller

2 - Is a 16 channel AC controller included if I spend $569.95?

3 - What is the additional cost if I would like 3 total 16 channel AC controllers?

4 - What is the cost if I don't want any controllers?

Mike,

I think it's about as straight forward as any online ordering site can be. Only thing I possibly see that might be confusing is the STC-Starter. If they are not familiar with LOR lingo, might spell out ShowTime Central...

Forum,

Mike is just trying to see if any of us will finish out of the cart after playing with it. Good way to increase sales..

Mike,

And if they were looking where to insert their Gold Membership number, it doesn't show on this screen. (Sorry - Just couldn't let it go unsaid when everyone is thinking it.)

Edited by Mega Arch
  • Like 2

That first link is broken.

The only thing I see that is not clearly stated is the fact that if your not using the optional SD card then your PC will need to be connected for the show to run.

Plus as previously mentioned there is no option for no controller.

As a 2nd year noob, I remember when I knew nothing about this, and EVERYTHING was confusing.  I'm actually pretty tech savy, and have been building/programming computers since '82.  However, this was somewhat overwhelming when I first started looking into it. I certainly had that "I can't do this" panic rush (which I actually enjoy).  I would imagine that this is pretty common among newbies looking for their first steps into this, and when help is sought from the experts, "dumbing down" to the noob level can get frustrating. ( I mean no offense by the term "dumbing down", I am just short on a better term for limited to no knowledge on the matter). Must be pretty rewarding to see all the noobs get it when they do get it, though.

I think it is fine. The only thing that is confusing is having the options in the middle of the actual package. I would consider moving those two images to the bottom of the description. I might consider adding a bold optional title also. The eye is drawn to the picture and not wording that is in the picture. With these changes, that problem would be eliminated.