Light-O-Rama Forums

Number of Lights?

Dcroc

I see that some take great pride in the number of lights in their display.  Personally, I have always believed that it is not how much you have, but what you can do with it. Not so sure my way of thinking is the norm, though.  What's the common view on this?

lol...and yet you proudly display the number of RGB lights you have in your signature...  :unsure:

I try to guestimate because it is a very common question I get asked by people.  Plus I'm still using a lot of incandescent so I have to measure and calculate power restrictions.

• Like 1

My website lists the exact number which I have organized on a spreadsheet (for my own uses).  Same as Little_b, I get asked often enough so I figure I might as well know the number.

Oh man. Agree with the others. You must know the number, large or small.

But if you have the CLAP (like I do),

don't forget to add in the various LED on lights. Like the (2) on my speakers for example.

• Like 4

Mega, I don't count the LEDs on the amplifiers - but those are in my bedroom closet.  Kinda cool however in our bedroom.  The power and VU meter LEDs are quite bright blue.  Makes the whole closet blink to the music.  Annoying if you're trying to sleep however.  That's part of the reason that I turn the amplifiers off (and therefore of course the yard speakers) at about 9:00 PM - that's about when my wife goes to bed.

Oh man. Agree with the others. You must know the number, large or small.

But if you have the CLAP (like I do),

don't forget to add in the various LED on lights. Like the (2) on my speakers for example.

LOL.

Guess I should count the lighted doorbell switch, too.

can I count all the pixels in my 60" TV??? You can see it from the street thru the front window!!

Edited by jimswinder
  • Like 3

lol...and yet you proudly display the number of RGB lights you have in your signature...  :unsure:

Actually, I was a bit embarrassed by the number. It's what prompted me to start the thread.

We lost track totally, and also totally stopped caring, somewhere around 2011 I think. Doesn't matter how many - I'll never have enough. And I'll probably keep getting new stuff till they pry the lights from my cold stiff hands.

People ask me how many and I tell them it's been years since I've had time to count them. Then I ask THEM how many lights THEY think there are.

How many do YOU think there are George????

There is no number that can possibly represent that figure.

knowing how many lights you have is fine.  But I do believe some get caught up in more is better.

One of the contestants on the recent season of Great American Xmas Light Fight, prided themselves on having a great look/feel with fewer lights...believe them had less than 100k.  They were my choice for that week's segment and I believe they won.

So it really does matter how you use the lights and not simply on number.

• Like 1

I can't count past one :)

I can't count past 21!!

I gave up counting years ago as I switched to LEDs. It's not that important anymore because I don't have to worry about the amperage

• 2 weeks later...

Light count IS important from an artistic stand point. The more lights in the display the more "Full" it feels. Sparce displays often seem lacking. Cool looking but lacking. This is most apparent when you view an all RGB display. It just lacks punch. It doesn't seem to matter how precise or intricate my sequences are, it's the ALL ON moments that seem two draw the most attention in my show and that is also when I hear most if the comments. Though I now can only guesstimate that there are 31,000 lights in my display I will say that they are all needed.

Edited by rainyoregonchristmas