Light-O-Rama Forums

Serial over Ethernet with LOR dongle?

EmmienLightFan

That would be a kinda expensive way to hook up your controllers.  it also only outputs up to 115K, so 500K is OUT.

If you are already running Ethernet for lighting control (using E1.31), why not use an E1.31 to DMX bridge and run the LOR controllers in DMX mode?  Our new Pixcon controller will have 4 ports available to do that (plus control up to 32 universes of pixels), or you can go with something like this http://www.j1sys.com/products/lighting/ECG-D2.html.

Just curious.  I see the LOR store has  SC485 Serial Adapter.  In what situations would you use this  adapter?

If your computer already has a serial (RS232) port and you want to run our controllers (RS485).

Not many computers these days have serial ports, but older computers (when LOR hardware/software came out) all had at least one if not 2.

Serial dongles still have uses. Some tower pcs have serial ports, simply because they have the space to, and it means you have an extra USB port. Also, many use old PCs for their show which have them.

You can even get a PCI card to go in a new pc. The serial dongles are cheaper and cards are no more than $15 so you could save money.

E1.31 is getting more popular quickly. I could use a bridge or the output of my PixLite4, but I just don't like running my LOR controllers in DMX mode. I already have a box that has serial outputs, and can also control IR and relays over IP, so that is why I was wondering.

As long as the driver that is installed by that thing you linked to presents a valid COM port to Windows, even though that port does not really exist on that computer, then you should be able to use it.

I say SHOULD but there are a LOT of things that could go wrong.  For example, the virtual port that it creates may not support the signal lines properly, or it may not present the port as a COM port but something else.

FYI:  Unless you are using shimmers or twinkles, there is no (or should be no) difference running an LOR controller as a DMX device.  Since you already have open E1.31 to DMX bridge ports, that would cost 0 dollars.  I like saving money ;)

Unless I'm wrong, there is one more thing about DMX - it's one way.  In other words, if you are using inputs for interactive groups or a show start trigger, you are out of luck. 

Unless I'm wrong, there is one more thing about DMX - it's one way.  In other words, if you are using inputs for interactive groups or a show start trigger, you are out of luck. 

That's true too.  I stand corrected.