Light-O-Rama Forums

what to buy to start my own light show

stroh18

Thanks for the info I just wanted to make sure I didn't buy old.out dated stuff. I have some jerk in the neighborhood that has lor but told me that if I tried to get into I would.never understand it then the new stuff would be out.

I would question the integrity of a person like this. Someone who tries to talk you out of doing it, maybe they are afraid you will show them up or something. Me personally, I try to get my neighbors to decorate every year as I would love to have my entire street lit up.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info I just wanted to make sure I didn't buy old.out dated stuff. I have some jerk in the neighborhood that has lor but told me that if I tried to get into I would.never understand it then the new stuff would be out. I just hate to put a couple thousand into something that I can get no help with. But it seems like people on here are pretty good with helping us " newbies" lol. I talked to lor today and they told I should wait a little bit for a sale. Does anyone know when this may happen?

I wanted to comment about that neighbor too. There's probably a few people out there that have an opinion of themselves that they are the only ones who can figure this out and no one else is capable. Regardless if someone can or cannot, I always offer to assist anyone asking questions or planning their own show. Have another person here in this neighborhood who started last year on his own which was really nice. I liked what he created a lot and his show was very nice! Its nice to have the variety and other ideas out there.

One person I know here, his brother came all the way out here for his family of course but specifically came to see how I did things, props and etc...I hear he's going to do a large show at his house out in Arizona this coming season! It was nice to share ideas and how we accomplish this or that. 

My only wish is to bring out more Christmas Spirit to anyone and everyone. Had one lady last year tell me, she felt "Blessed" by watching the show. wow...made it all worth it in just those couple of words. Hearing the kids and some adults, singing up a storm out of their car windows was very cool.

• Like 1

I can't wait to get started now. Dgrant Thanks again. I do love to see the kids and adults lol come by here and enjoy the lights. We lost my little guy at age 2 ever sense then I have gone crazy with these dang lights.

You'll especially love seeing the kids in the neighborhood when you start putting it all out there and together. They'll be asking lots of questions and getting excited with you. Be sure to invite the whole neighborhood to your first light up night! When you start testing, don't try running the show, rather start with the hardware test program and carefully test one circuit at a time to resolve any issues you might have. Then, when you are ready, run a sequence! You'll be amazed yourself. Get it done early so that if you see issues with your sequencing, then you have some extra time to change things as needed and be ready for first light up!

Let me add too, very sorry about your loss. I know that hurt in a major way and there's no way most everyone else could ever expect to feel what your family did. But, move forward, bring pleasure to all the kids out there during their favorite holiday of the year. Its worth the effort when you see all the smiles, hear the oohs and ahhs...here them singing along. Have to tell you too, while I was videoing my show last year, a little girl next door too me, didn't know I was recording. She was out there singing up a storm to "Its Beginning to Look Like Christmas"!!! So very cute and she could sing too! I can post it for you to hear if you wish but its raw audio source from the outside.

Edited by dgrant

You guys need to check out the thread "why we do it". A lot of honesty in that one.I laugh every time someone one Great Light Fight say "I do it to bring a smile to the local kids". Just once I would love someone to just be honest and say "I do it because I'm a show off".

I do it for myself.... oh and I support our local power company and their families so they can have a nice Christmas starting with my 4th of July and Halloween show...  This year I may have to call and put in a request for a extra transformer on our pole..

Can they see my house from the Space Station yet??

• 1 month later...

Just want to say I'm  new this year myself  and to all here hello from Mississippi , what me and my sister have so far is 32 channels from Light O Rama  and a alpha pix controller which has 16 outputs for pixels .. plans are to run pixel tree this year no star at top, and all 32 channels with all led lights.

I have tried to sequence some songs starting to get the basic down, a lot to learn so this year have purchased sequences from Light O Rama  And from Holiday Sequences , I hope this turns out good and don't have any problems , I'm hoping for the best, newbie in all.   BTY Roger Thanks  Man you ROCK!!!!      Mike C From Mississppi