Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing faces on Roof

Dcroc

Just wondering how some of you are mounting singing faces to your roof?  I imagine I don't want to nail or screw anything into the roof. I also imagine it's a bit of a hassle to deal with all the extension cords coming from the roof to the controllers. How are you guys handling this?

I have four singing faces for Halloween and Christmas, I screw 2 hooks into the bottom on my eave/fascia and them hang them from there, So for me they don actually go on the roof, 2 hang below my eaves on the second story and 2 at the peak over my garage

Mine are setup like my avatar. Xmas and halloween different faces.

Extension chords coming from a roof no big deal. Probably easier than through most yards since there aren't any obstacles.

Wind being the issue, mounting to the roof could be a challenge. Faces are heavy. But they still need to be secured.

My signing face is mounted on a plywood sheet with frame and painted the same color as the house and mounted above the front door. However, I have another prop on the roof. I made a 2x4 frame (painted black) with prop mounted to it. It straddles the roof peak and on the back side I place two heavy bags of kitty litter. No issues with winds effecting the prop for 3 years.

So you don't actually nail/screw it to the roof?  Do you have the controller on the roof, or run all the cords from the face to the controller?

I want to mount mine above my garage on the roof but the peak above the garage is where I want them. I know I can use plywood to hinge over the peak and build frames to attach to plywood but I want them to buy striaght up and down not facing out at degrees like the pitch of the peak.

I have many elements on my roof.  All controllers and or power supplies just lay on the roof, behind the elements.  Make sure the holes that the cords exit from are on the down slope of the roof.  To mount elements, I use brackets made with two pieces of four foot long 1x4 connected by hinges.  This lies over the peak of the roof.  I attach the element to the 1x4s and brace them to the rear with other pieces of wood and to the front with aircraft cable which disappears in the darkness.  The 1x4s are "secured" to the roof with concrete blocks sitting on them.  System has worked for 15 years with everything from wire frames, wood cutouts, etc.

I built a 2x4 frame that straddles the roof peak as a base and then built up from that the frame structure I needed to support the prop (in my case it was a large 48" 3 channel star). Make sure the prop has "holes/slots" to let wind through. My star was mounted facing the street and had several "cutouts" in it to avoid wind damage as well as additional support braces back to the base. The key is to "hide" several bags of kitty litter behind the prop and on the back side of the base.

I have many elements on my roof.  All controllers and or power supplies just lay on the roof, behind the elements.  Make sure the holes that the cords exit from are on the down slope of the roof.  To mount elements, I use brackets made with two pieces of four foot long 1x4 connected by hinges.  This lies over the peak of the roof.  I attach the element to the 1x4s and brace them to the rear with other pieces of wood and to the front with aircraft cable which disappears in the darkness.  The 1x4s are "secured" to the roof with concrete blocks sitting on them.  System has worked for 15 years with everything from wire frames, wood cutouts, etc.

Denny

This sounds like a solution to my mounting problem for our Holiday Coro singing trees, I want to mount them above the gutter line but under the peak line on the roof, hoping the singing trees will not blank out the peak line lights or the soffit/lower roof line icicle lights.

If possible can you post pics of your mounting, I was originally thinking of 1 1/2 square tubing bolted to driveway, braced to the brick wall and holding singing xmas trees up about 10 feet and then a cable bolted to prevent sway from wind. But the 16 feet wide by 4 foot high structure at 10 feet high had me worried it might be a wind accident waiting to happen. Cant put holes in there so it is going to be a big wind catch.

And thanks for any ideas or pictures if possible, Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I use L-brackets to keep my stars on the roof. The brackets are left on the roof all year round. The shingles would not handle being lifted every year to put the brackets on. Never had a leak & gives me a solid anchor point for the stars.

2014-10-17%2009.43.57.jpg  

One star is around 11' above the peak

• 4 weeks later...

Darryl

Thanks for the pics and recommendation. I am very hesitant to drill anything through my shingles though. With the amount of rain and thunder storms we get in North Florida I look at the roof as sacred and I don't even like walking on it unless needed. I would guess you get snow like we do rain and am impressed you don't have problems.

Thanks for your thoughts, still looking for mounting ideas that won't drill into roof.

Keith