Light-O-Rama Forums

Eave/Fascia Lights

godman

Last year I used rope light on my eaves and I liked the look but this year I want to use RGB (smart) so I can do chases etc.

My question is what is the Best type of Lights to use? I hear people saying the strips sometimes break because they are fragile and don't do corners well, so I was thinking about the square or rectangle lights (like below) 

Looking for comments on the pros and cons of each, What is the effect difference between the square RBG light and the Rectangle Light?

Thanks in advance

post-11409-0-90246400-1433336085_thumb.j

post-11409-0-72148500-1433336095_thumb.j

Depends a  lot on the layout and what you are looking for.   Strips are good for straight runs but at fragile when bent against their axis, and are available in various pixels per meter (from 19 to 144). Pixel strings are rugged and have a regular Christmas light look.  Square and Rectangular pixels are very solid and rugged with multiple pixels per node and work especially well inside coro items.  All need something to be mounted against (taped, zip tied, glued etc ).   Ribbons are susceptible to breakage if zip tied to tightly.  Look for the type of appearance you like and see what and how they were put up.

If you are using smart pixels you will need to consider 12 volt or 5 volt.  For string pixels I would recommend 12 volt and for ribbon type 5 volt.

I understand that it is a personal decision, However I'm looking for the differences in the Square vs. rectangle vs. strip.

What effect do each have that make them different?

I use RGB strips zip tied to 1/2" PVC window frame which I snap into mounting clips. After the season I unsnap the 1/2" frame and put it away in the basement. The next year I take them out and snap them back in.

Seems this thread has taken a turn to hanging lights? Can someone please chime in on the original question on what are the effect differences between square and rectangle Smart RGB set ups?

Edited by godman

let's start with square vs rectangle the square has the lights in a triangle pattern the rectangle is linear. the rectangle is nothing more than a strip that's cut into sections and mounted in a plastic housing giving you greater distance between pixels. if you use strips you have many to choose from depending on what kind of pixel count you want. what should really be said is have you considered nodes? nodes are better suited for doing roof lines if you can do it.you can now get strawberry shaped lights that are more like traditional Christmas lights.I think holiday coro sells them with 3 different wire lengths to fit different situations.

Original question was "... Best type of lights to use." As I said above...I think rgb strips are still the best solution, followed by nodes. I would skip the square pixels you pictured. Why RGB strips, you can run long straight lines.... Just like your eaves. I mentioned the j-channel in my previous post to try and provide a little additional insight. Sorry if that's off topic. I'm guessing you would t want a one word response.

Edited by sticks4legs

Square lights are 3 nodes   in a more concentrated area more light in a smaller area and appear as a larger bright light , the rectangular lights (also 3 nodes are longer and thinner (more like ribbons) appearing as a line of lights except as a single pixel. Smart versions of the rectangular, strung side by side would be like a CCR.

Edited by jerrymac