Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie w/Controller & lights questions

jsimmons

Happy Tuesday!

Please forgive my ignorance.  I'm researching but a little confused... okay, allot confused.

Background: When LOR had their sale, I purchased:

2 - CTB15PC ready-to-go

1 - 10W RGB Flood 8 Pack

1 - 12VDC 200 Watt Power

Here are my questions:

1. I have been looking for lights and I'm a bit confused.  HolidayCoro advertised some lights that look impressive (http://www.holidaycoro.com/Brilliant-Bulb-p/709.htm) but am I correct that they don't work with LOR? Is it correct I need another controller and can't use the CTB15PC controllers and LOR? If I read correctly, I need a pixel controller.  I'm confused how this all fits together.

2. Why doesn't the CMB24D that came with the floods come mounted in a case to protect it?  Suggestions on one I should get?

Thanks for letting me ask all these.  Again, please forgive me ignorance.  I'm trying to figure it all out.

Jay

1)  The bulbs you link to are RGB C9s, so no, they will not work with the controllers you purchased.  The CTB16PC controllers allow you to control 16 'outputs' each (so 32 separate elements total).  You can plug any sort of ican or led bulbs into the those (think regular Christmas light strings).  Personally, if you're just getting started, I would recommend going with all led (they use a fraction of the power).  I purchase mine from HLE, but there are others that prefer CDI (and there may be others).  Both are reputable companies. 

2)  As for the 10w RGB floods.  No, the case does not come with it.  I purchased one of these...  

http://www.holidaycoro.com/CableGuard-CG-1500-Mounting-Case-p/637.htm

and one of these...

http://www.holidaycoro.com/Light-O-Rama-LOR-CMB24D-Mounting-Kit-p/641-kit1.htm

for mine at the first pre-sale.

2014 was my first year and I too started with 32 channels (sans the RGB floods).  Even with only 32, you can do some pretty cool stuff if you put in the time with the sequence editor. 

https://vimeo.com/116557428

My advice, have a well thought out plan (and stick to it),  keep asking questions, and start sequencing now.

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Happy Tuesday!

Please forgive my ignorance.  I'm researching but a little confused... okay, allot confused.

<snip>

2. Why doesn't the CMB24D that came with the floods come mounted in a case to protect it?  Suggestions on one I should get?

My guess is that because some people will be mounting a power supply with the controller board, and some wont, and there could be quite a variation in power supplies, it would not make sense to put it into a case.  In my case, my 16 channel versions are in protected locations so the bare board works just fine.  You can see photos about halfway down this page:

http://newburghlights.org/Landscaping.html

Welcome to the madness!  A great place to start to learn about RGB is at the following forum

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/

I have 4 of the CMD 24 cards and I have them mounted in these:

http://www.holidaycoro.com/CableGuard-CG-1500-Mounting-Case-p/637.htm
http://www.holidaycoro.com/Light-O-Rama-LOR-CMB24D-Mounting-Kit-p/641-kit1.htm

Pixel controllers basically come in 2 types. Smart and Dumb, generally 5v - 12v. Smart controllers allow you to control your smart RGB lights individually, Dumb controllers allow you to control  your dumb string/strip of lights all at once, in other words you can change the color on the dumb lights but they are all going to be the same color, Realy depends on what you need/want the lights to do.

Make sure to read/search the posts here and ask lots of questions if you don't understand, there are allot of very talented people here who are wiling to help, We all start somewhere.

Most of all have fun, plan early and give yourself double the time of what you actually think you will need :D

Thanks so much for the responses! I've been amazed at the detail in this - looks like I have lots to learn, but I'm enjoying it!

So, few other questions:

1. If I used the RGB c9's, how would I program it since it doesn't work with the controllers I purchased?  Can the LOR software still work with them if I have the correct controller?

2. Who is HLE? 

Thanks again!! 

Jay

P.S. Downloaded the Auschristmaslighting book - wow! :-)

There are three basic controllers and you have to match the types of lights to the controllers.

1)  LOR CTB16, 120v, uses basic LED lights or Incan that you can get anywhere. Basic lights that you can plug into an outlet in the wall. (easiest to program, on or off entire string)

2)  Dumb RGB, 5-12v, your CMB24, RGB lights that are all on or all off and all the same color but can be any color. ( more difficult to program, on, off and color of entire string)

3)  Smart RGB, 5-12v, any single light on a string can be any color or on or off by itself at any time. (most difficult to program, on, off and color of each individual bulb on the string)

Easy peasy, you will get the hang of it.

Thanks so much for the responses! I've been amazed at the detail in this - looks like I have lots to learn, but I'm enjoying it!

So, few other questions:

1. If I used the RGB c9's, how would I program it since it doesn't work with the controllers I purchased?  Can the LOR software still work with them if I have the correct controller?

2. Who is HLE? 

Thanks again!! 

Jay

P.S. Downloaded the Auschristmaslighting book - wow! :-)

According to the website the C9's your referring to need a smart controller, Holiday Coro sells them and there are many other options. PixLite, Joshau1, San Device, You can still sequence them in the LOR Sequence editor no matter what type of controller you get,

It really depends on how many lights you want to control because the controllers are available in different Universes. 1 Universe can work with up to 512 channels 17O lights (each light requires 3 channels)

If you get more that 2 50ct strings (100 lights, 300 channels) on a universe it may require power injection. for my pixel tree I use the Pixlite 16 by Advatek, for me is by far the easiest to use. I just connect 1 Strip into each output for my 16 strip (CCR) tree

HLE is holiday-light-express.com

Edited by godman

It really depends on how many lights you want to control because the controllers are available in different Universes. 1 Universe can work with up to 512 channels 17O lights (each light requires 3 channels)

godman - I think you may have just blew his mind with universes, you may want to hold off on that just now.   :D

I'm learning...  Yup - mind blown :-)

• So... RGB requires an RGB controller and can be programmed/sequenced with LOR
  • Pixels require a different controller too and can be programmed/sequenced with LOR
  • And LED requires a different controller (will work with CTB15PC).

Correct?  Sorry for sounding so uninformed.  I'm trying :-)

Thanks!

Jay

P.S. godman - I went to look at your website and it says something about being hacked.  Might want to take a look at it. 

• Like 1

Pixels and RGB are the same thing, you have a red pixel a green pixel and a blue pixel in each RGB bulb. Think of RGB as Smart and Dumb, each type needs a different controller.

I'm learning...  Yup - mind blown :-)

• So... RGB requires an RGB controller and can be programmed/sequenced with LOR
  • Pixels require a different controller too and can be programmed/sequenced with LOR
  • And LED requires a different controller (will work with CTB15PC).
Correct?  Sorry for sounding so uninformed.  I'm trying :-)

Thanks!

Jay

P.S. godman - I went to look at your website and it says something about being hacked.  Might want to take a look at it. 

1-YES

2-Pixels are just another name for RGB lights, Most use the word pixel to describe individual lights as opposed to strips etc. A Smart controller will control Smart Pixels or strips (same thing) a dumb controller will control dumb Pixels strips (same thing) The pic below is normally referred to as Pixels.

3-Yes 120v Led and Incandescents can be run of the LOR controller

Yes website was hacked into a couple months ago, In the process of redesigning,..

post-11409-0-99568400-1433359524_thumb.j

I've been at it for going into my 4th year, and I am still ignorant....  but I am having alot of fun doing it!!!  You will find that most people here and on Facebook are quite helpfull. Some have a good sence of humor and then the minority will tell you that you just need to research more because the answer is already out there.  The fail to remember when they were new.  There is a wealth of info on this forum. So much so that it is near imposable to find the answer you are looking for.

Dig in, and if you are new, you better start sequencing NOW. Good luck and happy lighting!!

• Like 1

Just remember to give yourself plenty of time and have fun. You're gonna be broke, angry, confused, stressed out, rushed and tired but come December you will realize that it was all worth it.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 1

Yup... Wife is already asking what this is costing... So I bought her some earrings :-)

Enclosures are cheaper Here

BTW You should of bought her earings with lights to get her in the spirit. :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...