Light-O-Rama Forums

Light-O-Rama CTB16PC V1 Hardware Setup Issue.

Arteom

Hello Forums, 

I recently purchased an older Light-O-Rama unit, and I am trying to configure it in the hardware utility. I know I selected the right Comm Port, however the utility cannot locate it. It cannot detect it, trying to install new firmware simply doesn't start/ status button is frozen. The red LED indicator simply blinks twice a second and never goes solid. 

Everything works perfectly fine with my newer Gen 3 controller. 

Can anyone help diagnose this issue? I've been trying to figure it out for hours and nothing seems to work. 

Do you have an Ethernet cable tester? What I would do is make and test two short cables. Then put one cable between the tester and the first RJ-45 socket.Put the second short cable to the second RJ45 connector and then to the remote module of the tester. What you are doing it testing the two sockets on the controller board. Short of that, a good visual check and a wiggle/pull  test to make sure that they are still solid on the board. I see you have been around for awhile so you know how these socket tend to get pulled loose from the board. Also not knowing the history of this board, I would also question the RS485 transceiver chip.

That ought to keep you busy for awhile.

good luck and come back and let us know what you found to be the problem.

Do you have an Ethernet cable tester? What I would do is make and test two short cables. Then put one cable between the tester and the first RJ-45 socket.Put the second short cable to the second RJ45 connector and then to the remote module of the tester. What you are doing it testing the two sockets on the controller board. Short of that, a good visual check and a wiggle/pull  test to make sure that they are still solid on the board. I see you have been around for awhile so you know how these socket tend to get pulled loose from the board. Also not knowing the history of this board, I would also question the RS485 transceiver chip.

That ought to keep you busy for awhile.

good luck and come back and let us know what you found to be the problem.

Is it possible the cable and transceiver chips will be bad even if they both work perfectly fine with the Gen 3 Controller? 

Max is referring to the RS485 transceiver chip in the controller that is having trouble.

Max is referring to the RS485 transceiver chip in the controller that is having trouble.

Oh okay thanks for clearing that up! I'm not deeply educated on the inner workings of the motherboard. Is it safe to solder on a new one, or is sending the unit into LOR to be done professionally a better alternative? 

Edited by Arteom

I just wanted to update everyone. The helpful team at LOR narrowed down that this could have been the RS485 Chip; after receiving the chip today and replacing it on the board it fired right up and began to work flawlessly! Thanks everyone!