Light-O-Rama Forums

Simple newbie question - how to ensure lights are off after show

1930ModelA

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone.

Thank you to all who have sacrificed for our country.

Just put my lights out last night (8 10W RGB floods) and had a simple red, white and blue show running for the weekend.

No music, just color fades chases etc.

I noticed this morning, my lights were still on.

I have the show set up to run for a set number of hours then stop.

It seems when it stopped, it just left the lights in the state they were in when the show ended. (some on, some off)

How can I make sure the lights are off at the end of their scheduled run time?

Thanks for your help.

I can see now I am in BIG trouble, this is a VERY addictive endeavor. :rolleyes:

I create a "cleanup" animation sequence that lasts 5 seconds. All lights are off within it, then add it to the show editor for the shutdown mode. After the final sequence is played, the shutdown sequence then runs and commands all channels to off or %0

opp's, I wish there was a "delete" feature on this site.

Edited by robongar

There is also a "Turn used lights off at the end of each sequence" check box which does the same as a sequence with all the lights off. It is to the right in every list of sequences in your show editor.

I also have a timer set up on most of my countrolers. It turns on at 4pm and off at 1am. I keep the first controller running the whole time. I have a sequence that I call "over night" that will switch between different lights so as to keep the yard just bright enough so I can see if any hoodlums are creeping about.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

My show consists of only one sequence that I have repeat.

I let it run until midnight, then switch to all white on about 20% for 'night lights', similiar to ehgilman.

Only thing, in the morning, after the show should have ended (off at 6am) I still have 3 floods that remain lit.

ehgilman, how long is your "overnight" sequence? Is it hours and hours long, or is it short and looping?

Is it a bad idea to run these as basically landscape lighting when not in the "holiday season?"

I run a bunch of my lights every night from 2200 or 2300 (depending on what day of the week) until the sun comes up. There are a lot fewer lights on overnight than during the evening.

Don't RGB controllers stay on?  Read on here somewhere that because "black" is a color that they stay on to keep the lights turned off.  and that the lights are technically "on" and set to "black".

Edited by caniac

That might very well be. "Black" though still means no power is being sent to them since each node or part of a node is not illuminated. The controller is still functioning and waiting for commands on the buss.

I let it run until midnight, then switch to all white on about 20% for 'night lights', similiar to ehgilman.

Only thing, in the morning, after the show should have ended (off at 6am) I still have 3 floods that remain lit.

ehgilman, how long is your "overnight" sequence? Is it hours and hours long, or is it short and looping?

Is it a bad idea to run these as basically landscape lighting when not in the "holiday season?"

About 15 minutes, looping.

Set a sequence with the lights off, then on, then off as your shutdown sequence. It should ensure every light turns off. Also, on that sequence, check 'turn used lights off after each sequence'. 

My DMX lights stick and this always works.

i run ours at the nursery every night, gentle fades and sweeps of just the RGB Floods, uses way less power than even a couple of outdoor standard bulbs would and looks way better. Nice to that I can change colors / themes based on holidays, or school colors for friday football events or even the local university colors during games/playoffs. 

Our "show" is only about two minutes to five minutes in length and just repeats throuhout the night.

Lights turn off at the end of the show ( Dawn ) but my power supply stays on 24-7, you could use a simple mechanical timer to turn the power supply on and off when you what to.