Light-O-Rama Forums

Beat Wizard vs VU Wizard

mrpbjnance

The Beat Wizard's basic job is to find the beat of the song.  For example, if you were to clap along in time with the song, you're doing what the Beat Wizard tries to do.

The VU Wizard's basic job is to act like a VU meter on your stereo system - it goes on when the volume is above a certain threshold, and off when it's below.  I feel strangely obligated to note that "volume" is not a correct term here, strictly speaking, but you can think of it as volume, more or less.

It might help to see them in action.  Here is a video showing the basic use of the Beat Wizard, and here is a video showing the basic use of the VU Wizard.

The beat wizard I find very handy, use it on every song. VU wizard, for me at least, is only useful if the song (or segment of a song) is very simple with just one element playing. Even then I find I use it rarely. If others have had more success with it I'd love to hear the use case.

I also use the Beat Wizard on every song.  Given my musical knowledge and ability, without that tool, I'd definitely be stamp collecting rather than writing this reply.

As noted by Bob, the VU Wizard works with loudness.  I have 9-channel vertical poles and I've used them as VU meters on a number of songs.  (I've also used the VU Wizard on display elements that are more horizontal in orientation, but didn't like the results all that much.)  I most typically use it for vocals.  Here's a good example of what it can do.

The vocals begin at 1:48 and at 2:50 you can see what's probably my most extreme use of the VU Wizard.