Light-O-Rama Forums

Under soffet mounted pixels

Robocrash

Hi guys,

A few people had questions at the Virginia Mini yesterday about my soffet mounted pixels.  I didn't have pics with me yesterday, so I'm posting a couple here. 

These pixels are permanently mounted, and I use them to light up the house for the just about every Holiday - Red for Valentines, Green for St. Patty's, RWB for 4th of July, etc.  It's nice to have a way to turn on some lights without having to set up and take down each time I want to celebrate.

I'm using 1/2" white aluminum J-Channel from Home depot.  Each pixel is mounted in a 1/2" drilled hole spaced as evenly as possible.  The the J-channel is just screwed directly into whatever feels solid at the edge of my soffet.  I really have no idea what I'm drilling into, but its highly unlikely I'll hit any high voltage.  And these strips have been mounted for the last full year with no problems - which is a testament to the highly durable nature of bullet style pixels.

My mounting system is a blatant copy of what someone else showed here on the forum a couple years ago - but his name escapes me right now or I'd give proper credit where its due. 

post-13877-0-45600300-1431872842_thumb.j

post-13877-0-10265900-1431872843_thumb.j

I got some like that.............but mine are the brown version.  They went through two seasons so far without a hitch.  Stay up year round and don't come down.

Steve

Hey Guys,

I like this idea but what about the connection end? Do you not worry about moisture getting to the pin connectors? I'm assuming these are CCP's but I guess if they were 2811 style pixel strings you can just cap the end connector huh?

Later,

Al

I do the same thing with 2811 strips. I just solder waterproof connectors to the end

I use Waterproof 3-lead pigtails on each end of the string, and I solder and shrink tube every solder point.  My philosophy is to over-engineer every connection so that I only have to do it once.

I do something similar except that I don't screw mine in.  They've haven't come down yet.  Mine are Dumb Strips currently and I just silicone the ends and solder joints and haven't had any water issues either.  I put hooks on the back to hang my icicle lights which makes put up and take down a whole lot easier.  Check it out at around the 7:08 mark.

www.vimeo.com/120089781

Edited by Little_b