Light-O-Rama Forums

Making custom images on a Matrix

Little_b

Not sure how many have experience with this, but I am looking to make large Pixel Matrix for the roof this year.  I've played with Xlights/nutcracker and LOR's new Pixel Editor and really like the effects I can create.  My question is this, is it possible to make my own drawing?  For example if I want to draw a Santa, or Snowman and click on the pixels to light up is there something out there I can do this with?  I've played with Superstar a little and found it possible to do this there, but the number of strands is limited compared to the size of matrix I am trying to make.  Or am I just missing how to do this with these programs?

Buy Photoshop, or crack it, whichever suits you best. I use it all the time for my matrix, to draw images. 
Make your canvas the resolution of your matrix, draw it, save it as a GIF or PNG and use the picture effect in Nutcracker.

There is another program called Paint.net (Search it) that can do this for free, but you cannot do animations.

Buy Photoshop, or crack it, whichever suits you best. I use it all the time for my matrix, to draw images. 

Make your canvas the resolution of your matrix, draw it, save it as a GIF or PNG and use the picture effect in Nutcracker.

What do you mean by make the canvas the resolution of the matrix?

• 2 weeks later...

Make the image in your image creating tool, the resolution of your matrix.

If you have, say a 50x50 matrix, make the image 50x50 pixels, so it will fit nicely with no stretching or aspect ratio problems.

Or if you have superstar you can plot out your matrix and draw it in there. Does take longer drawing in superstar but I believe the look at the end is much clearer. I found when you use a imported jpg the resolution is lost with smaller pixel counts and every light would be on unless your jpg has a black background.

I create all my own images, and use a black background.

It looks no different whichever way you do it, if you do it properly.