Light-O-Rama Forums

Stop sign

Wychristmaslights

What's the rules here? I've got one in my yard that is the stop sign on a small culdasac (spelling?) is it illegal to decorate?

• Like 1

I would go ahead and decorate it. worst they could do would be to tell you to take it back off. if you ask permission they will give you a technical answer that means no. but in reality nobody would care. I've seen garage sale signs and all kinds of things attached two stop signs and other traffic signs so I would think it would be okay to decorate

If it's your personal stop sign (I bought my daughter one years ago), then nothing can be said, but if it belongs to the city, county, etc., I'm not so sure?

What's the rules here? I've got one in my yard that is the stop sign on a small culdasac (spelling?) is it illegal to decorate?

Actually, that stop sign isn't in your yard. It's in the City/County right-of-way and I'm 102% certain that the "rules" prohibit you from decorating it.

Having said that, whether or not those rules would be enforced is another question. Lots of variables there. As long as you don't obscure the sign you'll probably be okay. (After all, it's Christmas ...) Worst case scenario is you get a letter from the City asking you to remove the decorations, or you get a visit from someone wearing a badge TELLING you to remove the decorations.

I understand the right away but its on the yard side of the sidewalk and atleast 3-4 feet in the yard, im leaning towards the theory of its easier to beg for forgiveness then to ask for permission   :P

• Like 1

Who wears plaid shorts with a striped shirt, a bicycle helmet and stands on a corner with no bike under a 'no standing' sign?

(If you look close you can see the bike, but still this looks funny)

Edited by mcha

What you should do is watch traffic for a while and see if anyone really "stops."  If not, does it need to stay there blocking the lights?

you could always argue that you're attempting to draw more attention to the sign to get more people to stop. just doing your civic duty

you said it is in the yard about 4 ft... and by the side walk.... If it is on your yard side of the side walk it is actually on your property.... If it is between the side walk and the street then it is on the City Right of way property.... 

Example.... you are responsible for the mowing and up keep of the property to the curb or street edge but it is still by lay considered right of way property by cities etc.

You are responsible for side walk maintenance also but if the city has required trees etc. then they are responsible for it if their mandated tree roots cause damage to it.. at the same time...

if it for example is raised by tree roots and causes someone to trip and injure them selves you and the city both can be held liable for it..

I had a friend found that out after being taken to court for someone that tripped on theirs and claimed it was the home owners fault for not repairing the side walk.

So Basically... if the light is on the inside of the side walk it is yours to do with what you want to... if it is outside the side walk it belongs to the city...

Go out in the middle of the night and take it down pole and all.... don't call anyone about it and don't report it as missing and just wait and see if they ever come out to replace it or not.... you will probably never have a stop sign there again...lol

Actually Sarge, the sidewalk has nothing to do with it.  Yes, the sidewalk in all probability is on the right-of-way, but the right-of-way could very well extend beyond the edge of the sidewalk.  The property markers are the final authority on where an individual's parcel begins and ends.

Who wears plaid shorts with a striped shirt, a bicycle helmet and stands on a corner with no bike under a 'no standing' sign?

(If you look close you can see the bike, but still this looks funny)

Who spends time zooming in to look at a guys legs and then realize that he is wearing plaid shorts? mcha does so it appears. :wub:

If you decorate that sign in any way that prohibits it from easily being seen and an accident occurs then I smell a lawsuit. I would proceed with extreme caution on this one, it's right up there with turning off that annoying streetlight during show times....

it's right up there with turning off that annoying streetlight during show times....

Did you trying doing that in oil sand city? We actually asked to get it turned off one year. Big "No" was the answer.  :)

Edited by lightzilla

I'm thinking about staying safe and not doing the sign but the tree right next to it, and that's funny that you bring up the street light. The one on our street runs off a light sensor, my lights are bright enough to shut it off durning the show

Maybe a generational thing but I wouldn't even think about or consider it ghood sense, to decorated a roadway sign.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about staying safe and not doing the sign but the tree right next to it, and that's funny that you bring up the street light. The one on our street runs off a light sensor, my lights are bright enough to shut it off durning the show

that's interesting. I may have to install a well-placed narrow beam spotlight as part of my show. my enemy is placed on the street corner across from my yard.

I can tell you that in Ohio it is a illegal. No if and or buts. It is illegal to hang anything on a traffic control device or sign. I know that ppl hang garage sale signs on speed limit signs, no parking signs, and stop signs but it is a violation of law in Ohio. I would stay way from the stop sign and keep decorations at least 5 to 10 feet from it. If you obscure the stop sign in any way and there is a traffic crash you will be held liable.  Any sign that is for traffic control in the State of Ohio is posted in the easement of the property it still belongs to the State. It may be on your property by pin markers but it is owned and controlled by the State.

Edited by bschwotzer

Did you trying doing that in oil sand city? We actually asked to get it turned off one year. Big "No" was the answer.  :)

Didn't even try....

I do not have the problem but a friend of mine mounted a small laser light under the eve of his house..

aimed it at the street light sensor and when his lights come on his laser comes on and turns off the street light for as long as it is on..

it is very very hard to see  the laser unless you are really searching for it and it cannot be seen from the ground level.

street light problem solved...lol