Light-O-Rama Forums

need help, cant find/get a for sure answer

stewartmatte

This is for all the DIY veterans and electricians.

I've starting working on my decorations for this year, just finished building my custom box with all my controllers in it.

I started making my spreadsheet for all my lights/placement/power usages(amps per channel/controller), so I could plot out where I will be installing new recepticals.

So I went to check my meter bc I wasn't sure of my exact service. My meter says on the face 200 amp service 240v. Well my show (combined) will pull 116amps if all on 100%. So I've been looking to install a temp meter for extra amps. Well I came across somewhere a forum post or description of home power and it stated that a home can,roughly, power up to 200 amps @ 240 OR up to 80%,to be safe, of 400 amps @ 120v. So being cautious I called my electric company to be sure and they told me I had 200 amp Max service. I asked if could get more power at 120v and they just repeated back 200 Max amps. So I asked, and explained the difference of what I was asking between the 240v/120v, and again responded just 200 Max amps. What the hell! Lol.

I understand 200 Max if ran at 240v, but if ran at 120v, I in theory (and actuality) can run 200 amps (or to 80% of) on each leg @120v and be OK,right??

My breaker box has only one 200 amp breaker at top for main shut off, but I have 3 large power cables,a ground, and another wire running to my meter. And even though it's only one 200 amp main breaker at top, down the left side of breaker box it has 2 60 amp breakers joined by a clamp, 2 joined 40s,2 joined 50s, and 3 sets of joined 30s. Equalling 440 amps.then on right side it has 15 individual 20 amp breakers. Now yes I know I can't pull Max of all breakers. But what can I actually pull in amps at 120v??

I am pretty sure it would be 400amps at 120 volts. Adding up the limits of all the individual breakers won't work. 

You already started a topic (Or even two) about this, so you should post this there, as that thread has people who can help you already.

I thought about it after I posted this new thread. I greatly apologize for starting new/duplicate thread. My minds baffled and scrambled from electrical stuff I can't get straight answer on. If anyone has a response please disregard this post. Thanks again and apologies again

Stew,

Yes, in theory you have the capability of 400 amps at 120v.  However, it doesn't add up the way you think it does.  You don't just add up your breaker ratings.  You should search "electrical demand load calculator" to calculate your existing residential load to determine if you have room for your lights. 

While planning your coming show, maybe instead of calculating the max that the house will handle, consider buying LEDs. Your power consumption would no longer be an issue. I ran my show on two 15 amp outlets which included 144 AC channels, 48 RGB Dumb channels, 600 RGB Intelligent nodes and the audio receiver and speakers, all off the two circuits... Now if you are looking at running high-power devices and massive spot lights, then you might need all that power you're looking for. Worse comes to worse, you could arrange for another power feed to your home. The electric company will have to look at the transformer load, possibly increase that and yes, you could possibly be charged for it, certainly for the extra feed to your home. All not needed if you change lights as it might be less expensive to go LED.

I've considered led lights, but be a huge switch. I would only be able to buy a quarter of the amount of lights I have now,if, I'd even be able to sell all my incans (about 47,000 incans). Just not an option.

Paying for all the electrical upgrades to run incans for you, might exceed the cost of going LED. I'm about %90 or so, LED. My power bill went up only $12 for the whole season and I'm running many thousands of lights like so many in here.

Edited by dgrant

I've considered led lights, but be a huge switch. I would only be able to buy a quarter of the amount of lights I have now,if, I'd even be able to sell all my incans (about 47,000 incans). Just not an option.

You don't have to do it all at once. As I added different props to my display I only built them with LED's. As things died or needed repair ie. fading color of bulbs, I replaced them with LED's. 

It's taken about 5 years but after this year I'll be almost all LED. The advantage was that my display continued to grow without the huge investment of money from switching everything at once, plus I felt like I got my money's worth out of the old lights & I didn't have to deal with trying to sell a bunch of partly used lights ( which can be difficult )

To add, my electricity bill stayed about the same if not lower, for those years even though I've added alot more lights

Edited by Darryl Lambert