Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree

Rom9141

I wanting to add a 12 CCR Mega Tree this year. I do not  know if I need to go ahead  and purchase Superstar software or do I use the advance version I using with maybe Nutcracker   until LOR Version 4.? is release to the general user. I hate to spend the money on Superstar when 4.? might  be more cost effective.

I use nutcracker for my pixel tree and superstar for my ccr tree each program has it own unique effects .

My suggestion would be to download S4 and play with the new features.  If you like what the new Pixel Editor does, you can move to it when it comes out of beta.  If not, go with SuperStar.

I use nutcracker for my pixel tree and superstar for my ccr tree each program has it own unique effects .

What is the difference between a CCR tree and a pixel tree?

A CCR tree is built using LOR CCRs, whereas a pixel tree is generally built using non-LOR LEDs such as WS2811 strips or pixels. To help blur the distinction, LOR came out with CCPs and CCBs a few years ago. The result is that there are four general possibilities:

1) using strips that are LOR Cosmic Color Ribbons,

2) using strips that are not LOR products such as WS2811 strips,

3) using LOR Cosmic Color Pixels or Bulbs,

4) using non-LOR pixels or bulbs, such as WS2811 pixels.

From a sequencing standpoint 1 & 3 are exactly the same, and 2 & 4 are the same. 2 & 4 are generally DMX (usually E1.31), so the setup in the software is different from using LOR products.

From a hardware standpoint, 1 & 3 have a LOR controller that is addressed just like any other LOR controller except it has far more channels, and is connected to a normal LOR network. 2 & 4 use some third party controller (such as a SanDevices E682 - to name one of several out there) and are connected via an Ethernet LAN connection.

Although the terms are sometimes used interchangeably, properly a CCR tree does specify a specific hardware to be used.

Just to add a little more confusion, since the title of this thread is Mega Tree, a mega tree generally refers to a three dimensional tree - usually either a full 360 degrees, or sometimes less, and the originally CCR tree that Brian Bruderer made famous is a two dimensional flat tree.

Have I overwhelmed or confused you enough?

Personally, mine is a flat tree that consists of WS2811 pixels, and I call it a pixel tree.

my ccr tree is flat the pixel tree is 360 degrees 

Edited by Dennis Laff

Thanks for the rely. I have a small show but ready to move up in size, I m looking at $299  for Superstar But wonder what the cost will be to go from LOR Advance 3.11 to Ver 4.

If your actually building a 12 ccr tree your best bet would be the superstar program ,then if you buy any store bought sequences like from Holiday sequences .com you can easily modify them if you wish to .

• Like 1

This is so confusing ...

My large pixel trees are 6.5' artificial trees with the pixels wrapped spirally around the circumference.  Not to be mistaken for the CCB trees which have CCBs strung in a horizontal zig-zag across the street-facing side of the trees.

My small pixel tree is 5' tall, flat, with only 8 strands.

My CCR trees are only 4' tall and are a squiggle shape using half a single ribbon each.

Sounds like I must be some kind of mutt or something ...

Edited by George Simmons

George todays mutts are now called designer dogs,  top dollars for mutts today your just to far advanced.

George todays mutts are now called designer dogs,  top dollars for mutts today your just to far advanced.

Tell me about it. Sharon (whom I love dearly, bless her heart) spent hundreds - she never specified how many hundred - a few years back on a puggle. Which is short for an abominable mix of pug and beagle that would never exist in nature because neither of the dog's parents would ever allow one to live.

"He looks so adorable." That 'adorable' puppy grew up to be the dog from hell. Holes all over the yard, every garden dug up, (never before saw a dog who would dig up canna bulbs and eat them like they're potatoes) tunnels under the fence, bayed like a hound at every neighborhood sound - both real and imagined. And impossible to house train on top of everything else. The last we saw of him, he escaped the yard and was fleeing up the alley. Neither one of us went outside and called to him. I hope he found what he was looking for.

• Like 3