Light-O-Rama Forums

mounting LOR RGB ribbons

rednosetbird

Well... I thought I had a good idea for mounting my RGB ribbons from LOR. I bought some 90 degree roof flashing that matches my house. I went to mount the ribbons onto the flashing but I cant get anything to stick to the Ribbons from LOR. They are in silicone type tubes. I tried cleaning them with wax and grease remover and lacquer thinner! I was going to use clear Velcro by 3M. Did not stick! So I had some clear 3M double sided automotive tape used to hold body molding onto cars. Did not work! So here I am stuck again sitting down typing away and enjoying a rum and coke. Any ideas?? What have You done? I was thinking of taking clear silicone and setting it that. I don't think zip ties will keep everything straight. Your thoughts...

Thanks, Bill  

My strips are not from LOR, but they are the same concept. I use GE Silicon II. See what at did at the bottom of this page:

newburghlights.org/Landscaping.html

+1 on the silicone. A lot of things don't stick to silicone except more silicone. :P

"GE silicone II" seems to be the product of choice. There was a thead some time back about some types of silicone not reacting well to the copper traces on the RGB strips, I had that happen to some epoxy coated strips, but since there in the silicone tube it probably doesn't matter which type you use.

I used Vinyl "F-Channel" and "U-Channel" (used for siding) to hang most of my Dumb Strips.  I drilled holes to zip tie the strip to it on the cut marks, as well as used the double stick tape on the back.  They have been hanging there since Christmas 2013 and haven't had any problems.  Here is a link to a short video I made and at about the 7:05 mark is where I show this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5i2F72IyBY

• 6 months later...

Glad I found this thread. Interesting stuff being discussed here. I, too, am trying to figure out ways to mount my new CCRs. Can you give me some more details on the silicone mounting? Should I mount that directly to a frame? What's the effect that silicone has on wood trim if I did it directly to the house? Also, I'm trying to deal with the pesky problem of the corner that everyone sees to have. I'm actually using two strips to go around my garage. Wondering how it would look if I attached it to the inner part of the frame as opposed to the outer part (i.e. the ribbon would all be facing in toward the middle of the garage as opposed to out at the viewer. It would solve the corner issue, but I'm not sure how bring that display will look.

Thoughts on all of this?

Glad I found this thread. Interesting stuff being discussed here. I, too, am trying to figure out ways to mount my new CCRs. Can you give me some more details on the silicone mounting? Should I mount that directly to a frame? What's the effect that silicone has on wood trim if I did it directly to the house? Also, I'm trying to deal with the pesky problem of the corner that everyone sees to have. I'm actually using two strips to go around my garage. Wondering how it would look if I attached it to the inner part of the frame as opposed to the outer part (i.e. the ribbon would all be facing in toward the middle of the garage as opposed to out at the viewer. It would solve the corner issue, but I'm not sure how bring that display will look.

Thoughts on all of this?

I'm definitely seeing that silicone will not have a good effect on my painted wood trim, so the idea of going directly is out. I'm considering the PVC option. Still curious what you guys think about the CCRs facing inward.

Thoughts on all of this?

Disregard! I found a great solution for my situation, and I've already completed the job. Super easy! I have that little flat weather proofing strip (about 1.5 inches wide) all the way around my garage. So, I just put the tiniest little slits throughout with my Gerber and ran zip ties through them. 

Oh, and please don't judge me for putting holes in weather proofing. :) I live in Southern California, so we really don't have much weather, and the way I did the slits, it will basically close back on itself once I remove the zip ties.