Light-O-Rama Forums

How big is too big?

Little_b

I'm looking to do a large Matrix on my roof this year and was wondering if there is such a thing as too big?  What I mean is more along the lines of programming.  I'm thinking a 64 x 64 pixel node matrix using DMX.  When I tried using SS it only let me go up to 24 strands.  Xlights has some cool effects, but I want to draw some of my own to animate as well.  I haven't seen what the new Pixel Editor will do yet. Any suggestions?

That one is just too easy to answer with a joke. 

Who is Bigger?   Mr Bigger?  Mrs Bigger?  or  Mr & Mrs Bigger's baby?  

The baby is a little Bigger !

• Like 2

Jeff Messer is doing a 81x50 roof this year. He would be the one to ask how big is too big.

• Like 1

I think it depends on a lot of factors.

What will the viewing distance be?

What is your pixel spacing?

What about the angle of the matrix?

You stated that it will be on the roof, will it be mounted on the roof at an angle to the viewer or propped up so it looks like watching a big screen TV?

At 64X64 I do not think you will run into any issues with the matrix being too big.

As to sequencing.....I used LSP solely for the individual pixel control on their matrix editor (which is handy if the matrix is not a rectangle)

2012 we had a 80X48 matrix with 2" pixel spacing. The perfect viewing distance was 75' from the matrix (which happens to be achieved by parking on the opposite side of the street) but either side of the street was good.

2013 we had a clock tower matrix with the same pixel spacing but 10' closer to the road. too close!! You had to be across the street to be able to watch the video on the screen.

Does anyone have the number to the Cowboys to see if I can borrow theirs?

thebaronn- I keep asking myself the same questions.  I live on a corner so viewing distance and angle changes.  I was thinking of just laying it on the roof.  I have roughly a 24' x 49' roof I do a picture on every year and thought this would be a fun new thing.  I just don't know if it will take up enough space to look good and still have a clear presentation on the matrix. The long term plan is to keep expanding it every year with the new "Light Budget."

Right now I have a 31 x 32 matrix mounted at the end of my 25' basement trying to see what it does.  The pixels are spaced 3" apart.  The effects in Nutcracker and Pixel Editor look cool, but I haven't figured out how to do a picture or video yet. If you wouldn't mind sharing how you did yours from your videos I'd be interested to hear how.  That may help me decide on 3" or 2" spacing.  I'm not looking to play a motion picture through it, but more of animated characters and small movie clips maybe.

Does anyone have the number to the Cowboys to see if I can borrow theirs?

thebaronn- I keep asking myself the same questions.  I live on a corner so viewing distance and angle changes.  I was thinking of just laying it on the roof.  I have roughly a 24' x 49' roof I do a picture on every year and thought this would be a fun new thing.  I just don't know if it will take up enough space to look good and still have a clear presentation on the matrix. The long term plan is to keep expanding it every year with the new "Light Budget."

Right now I have a 31 x 32 matrix mounted at the end of my 25' basement trying to see what it does.  The pixels are spaced 3" apart.  The effects in Nutcracker and Pixel Editor look cool, but I haven't figured out how to do a picture or video yet. If you wouldn't mind sharing how you did yours from your videos I'd be interested to hear how.  That may help me decide on 3" or 2" spacing.  I'm not looking to play a motion picture through it, but more of animated characters and small movie clips maybe.

for 2012 and 2012 I used LSP for the video on both. At the time the LSp scheduler was terrible. I had in export from LSP to LOR, but I had to split the files into smaller files. I could not export the whole matrix at the same time, I once let it run for 16 hours and nothing. I had to split it into 5 different sections, each section taking 4 hours to convert from LSP to LOR. The convert everything to RGB and then cut and paste to correct file. It was brutal. But now LSP is "better" and LOR is "better" at memory/file management so maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

Now, Nutcracker has the same feature (I have never used it)but Jeff said he used it but the video was not as crisp. But without seeing anything I cannot tell you my opinion. But if you are a nutcracker person here is the video:

and it is at the 37 minute mark that he begins to explain using video on a matrix.

That is the problem with building these, every application is different and you really have no idea what will work until you just build something and test it! Good luck!

What Area code is that....Triple C?

Edited by ezimnow

• 2 weeks later...

If they cant see it from Space Station then it isn't Big Enough.... go bigger.... let the Mars Rover see it and send a picture back..

but I was told... its not how big it is... its how it is used...