Light-O-Rama Forums

brand new want to use same lights for halloween/Christmas

chewy79

Hello I am brand new to all of this and really like to us LOR....i currently decorate for both christmas and halloween and my wife said no more...LOL I told her if i bought anything would be a light or rama so i could use for both holidays with little trouble removing and replacing.  I live downtown and our houses are quite close to one another almost like a san francisco feel and yards are limited.  I want to place on the upstair patio facing the street like three faces for halloween and maybe three trees for christmas.  Only have to remove the faces to do the different holidays.  Any suggestions where to start or what to do?  Thank you ahead of time for all the help  John

most faces and trees use 8 channels per face so you need 2 lor controllers so you need to buy the lor starter kit plus one more ac controller if your using ac led lights

I remember seeing something about a couple that use singing faces for Halloween and then just added Santa hats to them for christmas.

I remember seeing something about a couple that use singing faces for Halloween and then just added Santa hats to them for christmas.

Kevin does that with his pumpkins

For Halloween: My pumpkins are 6 channel...eyes open, eyes closed, mouth upper, middle, lower, o.

For Christmas: my Sally trees are 7 channel...add an outline.

My frames come from Doug and wireframe dlites. My ropelight comes from christmasleds.com.

I use the same lights on my trees, bushes, house outline for Halloween and Christmas by using rgb. I started with CCRs and dumb rgb. Now I am upgrading to pixels. Cost being the deterrent but if you can start with pixels you will actually save by not paying for the upgrade. Once you get rgb in the yard natural progression will be to control each bulb.

For my faces, I use LOR residential AC controllers.

For my dumb rgb, I use a combination of LOR DC controllers and 27 channel DMX controllers.

For my pixels, I use the LOR CCRs on the house eaves and Sans Devices E682 for the pixels in the yard and pixel strips on my gutters.

I get my DMX controllers, power supplies, pixels, dumb rgb and cables from Ray Wu in China.

I get my CG1500 cases used to house my LOR DC card, DMX controllers and Sans Devices E682 from diyledexpress.

Pre first step is to download the LOR S3 software suite. It is free to use but you will not be able to control your lights. You will be able to see the sequence in visualizer with the exception of DMX devices including pixels. If you want to use DMX and/or pixels you will need the advanced license.

First step is to take a picture of your house. Put it in visualizer.

Second step is to add your elements to visualizer.

Third step add channels to the sequence editor that match what you did in the visualizer.

Now sequence.

To reduce cost, purchase the LOR controllers and software in a package...you will get a discount. I recommend the high speed adapter and a set of spare fuses. Spare fuses cost more at Home Depot than LOR charges without the shipping charges, so adding it now saves cash.

Good luck,

Sax

Living in MN, a main goal was to set up halloween/xmas display in Sept when it's warm.  I don't want to be switch out displays  between the 2 season when it's much colder.

I'm using singing faces for both holidays and will add some red caps to the faces.

In doing faces for both season, could go with less scarry or jackolanern type faces.