Light-O-Rama Forums

The "I can't do this" rush.

Dcroc

First, thank you to all that help us newbies.  I for one, would be lost without all you great people.

Second: Not a tech question, so I'm sorry if it doesn't belong here, but..... Does anyone else get off on the "I can't do this" rush that I get everytime I want to add, or do something new to my set up?  I'm sitting here feeling like I have taken on something I can't figure out, or do, but find total excitement in the panic. So far, I have felt this with each step taken, and have yet to come across anything I couldn't figure out or get working.  Is this the best part of the hobby for anyone else?

When I first started I felt overwhelmed with many things. First it was figuring out the software and feeling "WOW" I can't program all these channels and get them all to work exactly the way I have it pictured in my head. Then I jumped in to RGB, new equipment, way more channels and that feeling again.

However, after reading all the tutorials, searching the forums, hours and hours of youtube, I have gotten pretty good with it. Feeling overwhelmed is natural but there is a great group of people in here that will bend over backwards to help you out.

:D  as I get older, mine is more "what was I doing, heh this is pretty cool I should have done this long ago"  :huh: This year I started with CCP's and had plenty of those moments you describe. The forums and videos are the key. The best part for me is watching people during a show with the oohs and ahhs and then asking me to explain it, heh like I know what I did.

The "I can't do this" rush is probably part of the type of personality this type of hobby draws.  Seems like a lot of those who synch music to lights strive to put on the best possible show as possible.  Most times, for me, I have a hard time appreciating what I do and all I see is where something is not quite right.  My wife, family and those who see the show love it and only see the harmony and beauty of the show.  So, yes I have that same "I can't do this" feeling every time I add an element, RGB or anything else that was not the same as the last time.  There is no pill to take or counseling needed to get pass it as eventually it passes until the next time. 

2015 will be my first year. When I first started I felt worried I wouldn't be able to do it.

I, like many always notice the little things that are out of time or slightly wrong. I want the best show I can possibly make.

I stopped getting that feeling, when I thought to myself that it is entirely optional to do this. There is no pressure on you from anybody else and you have no deadline. If you don't want to do a prop, or program a sequence, or whatever it is, then you don't have to. The hobby is for your entertainment. Entertaining others is just a side effect.  :D

Edited by EmmienLightFan

The "I can't do this" rush is probably part of the type of personality this type of hobby draws.  Seems like a lot of those who synch music to lights strive to put on the best possible show as possible.  Most times, for me, I have a hard time appreciating what I do and all I see is where something is not quite right. 

I, like many always notice the little things that are out of time or slightly wrong. I want the best show I can possibly make.

I too fall into this camp. Most of the time when looking at my display I only see what needs improving, hence the reason why I'm redoing my pixeltree for the third year in a row. Nobody else seems to see it, except me.

There are those rare times when I hear the oohs & aahs of the viewers and the sequencing appears just right that I get that rush you describe. I know then, that all the hours I've invested are worth every minute

For me, I'm getting a lot of channel counts as well and yes, it feels like I get the same thoughts from time to time. However, what I do to get around it, is first, settle on a hardware profile then once done, I don't change it for the season. I then update all sequences to that new hardware profile, run them in the visualizer to insure I didn't mess anything up during the update process. Then, I'll look at one area of the sequence at a time, that I'm changing, adding or modifying and work on it...such as arches. Will do the arches till I'm satisfied for that song, then go onto the next area...pixel tree, megatrees, roof or whatever requires alterations, but one area at a time. Only when I'm done with that song, do I move onto the next song. Yes, sometimes I discover something that requires that I go back and fix in others supposedly already fixed. Not saying this works for everyone, but seems to work for me.

I do it very much the same way, dgrant. My first year, I built and test my props through out the year.  By the time the season comes (Halloween and Christmas) my studio looks like a christmas store. Going the same route this year.

I never thought to call it a "rush" before. Words that always came to my mind were "pressure", "panic", "stress", but I do enjoy the challenge of the hobby and being forced to learn new things. 

The biggest issue I run into is scale and time. While it works well for doing a single element or a single sequence when I look what it would take to do it across the whole display it becomes stressful. Part of the challenge is not just figuring out a solution that works, but a solution that isn't going to take me 7 hours X 13 trees, or 8 hours X 57 snowflakes, etc.

When I do figure something out, or even figure out how to do it faster it is a serious "rush", especially if it required me to step out of my comfort zone.

The real intent for responding to this thread was so I could have the excuse to post this graphic :)

rush.png

• Like 2

Love the RUSH graphic!

I am planning to do a RUSH tune this year. Only concern is viewers will not recognize the tune.

Only concern is viewers will not recognize the tune.

But I would! It was the first concert I ever went to, back in 1982!!

People don't need to know the song but just enjoy the show.

Starting to time 2112 Anthem right now. Not sure I could manage to time out 19 minutes of Peart.

My first concert in the US in '82 also. 

I did 'Villa for my own amusement last year.

Think we hijacked this thread?

Edited by PhilMassey

Thinking of doing Spirit of Radio. Could be a tough one!

Only the cool people would stay and watch the show!

BTW....first concert (Sweaty Teddy Nugent)!!! Stranglehold Baby!

• 1 month later...

I never thought to call it a "rush" before. Words that always came to my mind were "pressure", "panic", "stress", but I do enjoy the challenge of the hobby and being forced to learn new things. 

The biggest issue I run into is scale and time. While it works well for doing a single element or a single sequence when I look what it would take to do it across the whole display it becomes stressful. Part of the challenge is not just figuring out a solution that works, but a solution that isn't going to take me 7 hours X 13 trees, or 8 hours X 57 snowflakes, etc.

When I do figure something out, or even figure out how to do it faster it is a serious "rush", especially if it required me to step out of my comfort zone.

The real intent for responding to this thread was so I could have the excuse to post this graphic :)

rush.png

Wish I could like that more than once!!!

Heart 1980 with Ian Hunter.  $8.50 and GREAT seats.

Love RUSH, huge fan, firs saw them in 78, can't remember ticket prices, nor much else of 1978 to be honest. Halloween this year "Roll The Bones" and Christmas is Wrecking Balls parody which mentions Rush in the lyrics.  Love to do "Limelight" if i have the time, think the underlying message in the lyrics would be good for the holidays.

**Sad Note** this is the final season to watch RUSH live in a large venue :~{

Yep, saw them last year. Too bad this is their last year on tour.

I have Spirit Of Radio in the works for this year. However, may not be complete in time as "other" more Christmas related shows were "suggested" to be first.