Light-O-Rama Forums

360 Watt Power Supply Issues

asl9622

Hey everyone,

I just put together an enclosure for my RGB board and the power supply I bought off Amazon keeps tripping the circuit in my house. I am using a supply that I bought from amazon .

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Regulated-Switching-Computer-Project/dp/B00D7CWSCG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429319920&sr=8-1&keywords=360+watt+12v+power+supply

Wiring looks correct. Power supply and board turn on and then my circuit breaker trips. Is this a faulty power supply? It is set to 110v. Any help would be appreciated. Here are the connections.

Black from power cord to power supply goes to Load

White from power cord to power supply goes to Neutral

Green from power cord to power supply goes to ground

Not a lot to go on, but it sounds like your wiring is right.  Is it a GFCI breaker or outlet, and if yes, can you tell if it's tripping on ground fault or overcurrent - that would be difficult if it's a GFCI breaker, but fairly easy if a "normal" breaker and a GFCI outlet.

BTW, the L connection is "Line", not "Load"

Did you just try the power supply with no load first to see if it trips isolated from your RGB board? Many Power supplies need a load to fire up, if it does not trip by itself hook up a known good load if you have something to use as a load. Is it a metal enclosure? Make sure the circuit board is isolated from the enclosure and there are no circuit board hot side going to ground by accident. Look for any arcing marks to board and enclosure.

Take your RGB board out and look for signs of arcing.

Did you try firing up the board with out the enclosure ?

Good luck, let me know .

Marty

I was having issues with the power supply causing flickering of other electronics in my house last night but it powered up and I heard the fan running. Today I installed everything in the enclosure because I had to purchase motherboard standoffs for the board. I connected everything on the board to the power supply. The board had the red led light start blinking and then the supply had light smoke and popped. My guess is the fuse crapped out. Reading reviews from Amazon and it looks like the supply can be hit or miss. I am hoping the board is not fried because that would be really upsetting. Thank you all for the replies.

I basically ordered everything that is on this list except the power supply because it was cheaper on amazon for the same power supply.

http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/CMB24D-RGB-DC-Controller-Kit-Assembly-Required-CMB24D-RGB-KIT.htm

The enclosure is plastic and the mounting board as well. I have the motherboard on standoffs and not touching the metal power supply. I have removed the supply and will order another one. Hopefully the board works.

The power supply may have had a defect on it. Sounds like a power rectifier diode popped. I worked for Motorola for 34 years, we had a saying , once your let the smoke out of the device  you can't put it back in.   Sounds like the supply went bad the first time you powered it up. I don't think you damaged your LOR stuff but look it over for burnt components anyway.

I have purchased power supplies from Automation Direct out of Cumming, GA . They have some good stuff there.

WWW.automationdirect.com

Marty thanks for the heads up on the website. I live 30 minutes from cumming. I agree that the supply was probably crappy. Thanks everyone for the replies!