Light-O-Rama Forums

Quick question

Wychristmaslights

I am currently running the newest residential 16 channel controller am I able to use a commercial controller in line with a residential?

Absolutely. They both play nicely together. Just make sure they have different unit IDs.

That was actually my same question 4 years ago.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Ok next question, is $100 for a 8 channel commercial box a good deal?

Each to their own. I've decided that with LOR's customer service people really caring and their best in class warranty, I'm only purchasing new controllers and devices. Now I may buy from an authorized dealer / partner, like Synchronized Christmas, but it will be new for me.

(Discounts are due Don.....)

If you're in to used or second-hand, that's probably a good deal, if you trust the selling source.

Depending on the age of the 8-channel board, you might not be able to upgrade the firmware. This means some of the newer lighting functions, like fading twinkles and shimmers, will not work through those boards and there's nothing you can do to change that. Buyer beware!

• Like 1

I have a few 8-channel boards but mine dim my Led lights just fine. However some have said that their PC 16 channel controllers were unable to Dim Leds so out came the Gen. 3 controllers but all my Lor PC controllers, & those 8-channel controllers dim the Leds I had no-problem. On the other hand our Canadian Leds have thicker wire & perhaps that had something to do with the fact that they could fade, twinkle , shimmer etc.  Therefore as George already stated they may not dim, shimmer, or twinkle the lights you may get in your country. 

Now those same 8-channel controllers I have may be used for two singing trees & the other one will be a spare.  P.S. I sold 20 controllers & from what I can tell they all worked when they bought them. I to have bought two used 16 channel controllers & they worked very well.

As Mega Arch said "if you trust the selling source". 

Edited by lightzilla

I wasn't referring to simple dimming. I was referring specifically to a fading twinkle or shimmer command. (In fact, if memory serves, those boards don't understand any twinkle/shimmer intensity other than full on) It doesn't matter which country you live - the lights aren't the issue. It's older 8-channel boards that are the problem.

I think i talked myself out of it, I'd rather keep all my controllers the same. Thanks for all the great info guys

On the other hand our Canadian Leds have thicker wire & perhaps that had something to do with the fact that they could fade, twinkle , shimmer etc. 

Very unlikely. Wire could affect brightness and efficiency, but I very much doubt it could change anything to do with dimming, twinkling and shimmering.