Light-O-Rama Forums

Now Playing... on website

EmmienLightFan

I saw a website, and on it it tells you which song in the show LOR is currently playing, and what is next.

I want to do this, just for fun and run the website on a web server I already have set up.

Does anybody know how they did it?

LOR can run a batch file at the start of a sequence ( look for "windows command"). This could be used to send a html page to your web server via ftp. If you are more into programming you could also execute a http call against the web server which is updating the page...

Another method of showing what is playing is by having the information come across the radio.

Here in the states we use something called RDS. Radio Data System.

And after reading the wiki, it appears this was developed in Europe and is the international standard: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System

Here is a link to how to do such a thing using an RDS transmitter. http://www.edmdesign.com/docs/EDM%20RDS%20and%20LOR%20setup(1).pdf

Of course, EDM sells one such transmitter. It is on my wish list, but the transmitter is too pricey for me still. Once the pixels are bought then I can start looking at this again.

Edited by sax

Yes. 

The problem is I want a really cheap transmitter, and I was planning on buying that after Halloween, as I have speakers.

The FTP idea sounds amazing. I had an internet relay chat logging system that updated the page like that, so I can find the codes easily.

Another option is just having a set playlist and knowing the order of the songs. Then you can write a program that will replace the data on your page to the next song, after a certain duration of time. (i.e song length) This shouldn't be too hard.

My question is: Why?

If people want to know what song is playing can't they just listen?

Ehhh, another gadget. People already think I own a radio station since they can get my songs through their radio. Why not impress more with song info???

Plus, even though Pink Floyd is known by many, they are not known by all. So let's create some new fans.

• Like 1

Yes. 

The problem is I want a really cheap transmitter, and I was planning on buying that after Halloween, as I have speakers.

The FTP idea sounds amazing. I had an internet relay chat logging system that updated the page like that, so I can find the codes easily.

The problem with "Cheap" transmitters is that you usually get what you pay for....cheap. A gentleman around the corner from me last season, bought the WHT. It failed within two nights. I didn't have a backup to loan him so he had to pay for overnight shipping to get something better...Personally, I use the EDM-RDS and it works really well plus having the capability of running RDS data is what I wanted. It costs more but it works.

+1 to dgrant.   We bought the WHT with excitement, but it didn't make it out of testing.  Didn't have the heart to sell it.  Bought the EDM-RDS and very happy.  The transmitter isn't the place to pinch the budget.  

We use BobO's program and it was really well received.  It worked extremely well once we got the settings right.  Our little show really looked professional, and the viewer interactivity was a huge it.  They couldn't get over the idea that they could not only "Remote Control" the show with their smartphones, iPads, etc, but they also saw what was in the queue for the next several songs, they could see the album art, the live voting statistics and could even find the link to buy the song - all on the same page.  

We kept the voting statistics to help us identify which shows were candidates for re-programming, but to be honest, it was quite a belly laugh for us to watch the voting contests going on between the viewers.     

Edited by Bizywk

I don't expect enough people to come for the voting to work. It will be my first year, so people wont know how.