Light-O-Rama Forums

Hello

Corbin

**Gulp**

Well after years of looking at other houses that are synchronized and saying to myself "I want to be that guy", I've decided to dip my toes into the water of synchronizing Christmas lights to music, I've decided to pull the trigger on the idea. Within the next few months, my intentions are to have a pretty good understanding on how every works, what system is good for a newb like myself and the pricing associated with a basic package.

I have absolutely zero knowledge of how all of this works. I am excited to learn how everything ties together and also plan on doing lots and lots of reading and may have to lean on you guys and gals when I am completely confused and frustrated.

Corbin

• Like 2

Welcome.  You will find lots of support here on these forums.  Make sure you check the video tutorials at the top of this page.  Also you should check out the  previous poster, jstorms, youtube channel, lots of good info there!!

Once again, welcome to the madness.

~Rod~

• Like 1

I jumped in last year in much the same way as you.  I'd seen the houses and videos and always thought to myself... 'someday'.  That was about this time last year. 

First off I would start reading and watching as much as you can.  Like Rod said, John Storms has some of the best sequencing, visualizer, timing grid videos out there.  After you watch those, download the free version of the LOR software and start creating a test sequence. 

Some people dive in head first (100+ channels, rgb, pixels), I started with 32 AC channels and it was a great amount.  I felt like I learned a ton without being overly stressed... I also think I ended up with a pretty good show for my first year.  While I only had 32 channels, I spent a larger amount of time building props (window-frames, pillars, mini-trees) for future use.  This year I'm adding a second color of C9 bulbs and it was super easy as the frames are already built.  

Good luck.

• Like 1

welcome.  this is a good day to start.  There is a mad grab sale tonight where you can get controllers and stuff on sale. the forums are a great place to learn.  read read read.  but don't start in September  Most people are already working on their shows NOW and get very busy in September and October.  Lay out a plan.  Just a word of advice.  Don't just get one controller. anyone who starts with just one, realizes they need at least two or three. 

• Like 1

Since you're just starting, my best advice is, once you have a layout decided on, stick to it for the first year. Create your budget and then double it. Learn about SPT wire and vampire plugs. It will save you tons on extension cords. Use store bought extension cords for power to the controllers. If you want to try RGB, start light. There's quite a bit of work involved. Not hard, just time consuming.

Above all, have fun. Don't set goals you can't meet and then get discouraged.

Just remember, "once this path you choose, forever will it dominate your destiny"

Welcome to the lighting addict................hobby!

Welcome Corbin,

I lurked here for many years before I signed up on the forums, almost all the questions I had I was able to find an answer for in the forums.

As you read the forums and other places remember to bookmarks interesting threads, links etc... There is a wealth of good threads and info pages back that have been buried due to this being a very active forum. There is a lot of info available and it easy to get sidetracked. Bookmark videos also, there are tons of videos explaining setups, sequences to shows etc... Research and understand Licensing Structure Cost of the software. It's a fun and rewarding hobby, but it comes with a $cost$ educate yourself as you prepare to upgrade so it's part of your budget. Here's a link to LOR sofware and the Demo. http://store.lightorama.com/sopr.html

Above all else have fun.

Alan...

Thanks for the warm welcome and suggestions. I had no idea that there was a sale, I'll have to look into that.

I originally wanted to start this process in February, so I am already a little behind my schedule. I want to give myself ample time for my research, designing my layout etc. I figure starting early will give me ample time to get my nose into a lot of good reading on the subject.

I do not plan on overdoing this years setup. In fact, I'm going to keep it pretty simple so that I keep the frustration level minimal as I tend to lose interest if I bite off more that I chew. The main reason I am doing this is because I want to have fun with it. By doing this, I really need to stick to my original layout and just keep notes on new ideas that come up as I fumble through this year. I figure it will take a few years for me to really nail down a spectacular setup. By then, my wife and I will probably sell our current house and I'll have to start over again!  I thought my wife was going to kill me last year because I went back to the store 9 or 10 times for more lights, cords etc. I wasn't aware at the time, but my HOA held a silent contest for the best three light displays and I was one of the three winners. I felt pretty good when the gal came to my house and handed me a $50 gift card!

I look forward to sifting through jstorm's channel. I tend to learn more by watching videos that reading. My wife calls it laziness, ha!

Edited by Corbin

Start small. I planned on doing that. I was getting one CTB16PC just before Christmas. Then before I ordered that, I saw the CMB24D. Then I saw the Flood. Then I saw RGB Ribbons. $300 later it all arrived, and I started sequencing. Then I saw how cheap pixels can be if you do it DIY. Then I got pixels. Then I got more pixels. Then I got more pixels. Then I got E1.31... Then I got more pixels. Then I got more pixels (Continue this on infinity amount of times.)

And this was my first month of LOR. Planning 16 channels - But nope- It is now 3000, and counting.

Edited by EmmienLightFan
  • Like 1

Since you're just starting, my best advice is, once you have a layout decided on, stick to it for the first year. Create your budget and then double it. Learn about SPT wire and vampire plugs. It will save you tons on extension cords. Use store bought extension cords for power to the controllers. If you want to try RGB, start light. There's quite a bit of work involved. Not hard, just time consuming. Above all, have fun. Don't set goals you can't meet and then get discouraged. Just remember, "once this path you choose, forever will it dominate your destiny" Welcome to the lighting addict................hobby!

spt wire and vampire plugs are the best invention.... at least thats what my husband says and he is my "production manager".  he wires everything up for me.. we probably have 2500+ feet of wire out there every year....

• 4 months later...

http://www.dollartree.com/household/electronics/Durex-3-Outlet-Extension-Cords-For-Indoor-Use-6-ft-/500c548c548p323400/index.pro?method=search

cheaper then vampire plugs are after you add the shipping costs. Just solder and use shrink wrap... I use them a lot for many years and have had no problems